E36 Transmission Service, Seattle Area, Eastside

I have the infamous GM tranny in my E36. It works just fine. I have a small leak from where the cooler connects to the line up near the radiator. I figure if I change the 40 cent gasket I will lose some fluid, so I figure I will just service the tranny all at once. I would do it myself, but don't have the time. Does anyone have a preferred garage on the Eastside...I had Independent do some work and was quoted over $200 for the tranny service. I think that is a bit steep for a $29 kit and about an hours labor...

Reply to
Devils944S2

I don't know how long it takes to fix the leaky line, but you can plug the open ends, while they are disconnected, with a golf tee. Open the line and insert the tee. Prep the new parts, and open the other end and quickly install the new parts (with golf tee inserted into the open end), then connect to the radiator. You will lose less fluid than if you allow the leak to continue.

This doesn't sound like the kind of thing that requires you to drop the entirety of your social calendar and bring to the top of the To Do List, especially if the difference in price is as you suggested. The leak has been there for a while now, it won't hurt to remain until the next open Saturday when you can take an hour or so to make the repairs.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland