E39 Brake Pad/Lining Light

Hello,

I have a 2000 528i and just a few weeks ago the brake pad/lining indicator light appeared so my buddy and I replaced the front brake pads.

After the brake pads were replaced the indicator light still appears and I am guessing it has to be reset.

I recently took my car into my local mechanic and in addition to having an oil change, I requested they "reset" the brake pad/lining indicator light.

I got the car back and the light is still on and there was a note from the mechanic saying that it should go out soon. I thought this was odd since the last time I had it done was at a BMW dealer and the light was off right after the service.

What is strange is that I got the bill yesterday and it said "replaced front and back senssors and reset light.

I followed another thread in this group and the way I understand is after the sensors are replaced the light should go out.

What did my mechanic do or not do?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Perhaps you need a mechanic more familiar with your car.

Assuming the sensor(s) have been replaced correctly, you simply switch the ignition on without starting the engine. After a minute or so the light will go out. It will eventually go out under normal use - the time between switching on and actually operating the starter is incremented up to the same sort of delay. Might take several days, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sensor is a small band that looks much the same as a fuse. This sensor must be replaced. There is one on the front and one on the rear, on diagonal corners from one another.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland