e46-question on brakes

What's the experience from using a bmw dealer verus a no name garage to replace brakes? I''m having a temporary problem with cash flow. I live in the Toronto GTA area and am willing to drive west to Miss........ Any suggestions is appreciated....

Reply to
Buy and Sell

email this guy, he is a god if he will do it for you - be honoured. it will be cheaper than dealer and much better, he is a race shop guru snipped-for-privacy@bmwe34.net

Reply to
Sharkman540i

"Buy and Sell" wrote

Do it yourself and save even more. All the parts - rotors and pads and sensor - shouldn't be more than about $75 US per axle.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

It's not exactly a difficult job, and BMW use the same brakes as others, so any decent garage familiar with European cars should not have a problem.

Just make sure they fit OEM quality parts - I use ATE.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sounds incredible. If it's got vented discs I make it approx 100 gbp for OEM parts for the front. Rip off Britain again?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I wrote "axle" when I wanted "corner". Bimmerworld (I just checked) has OEM rotors for $102 and Mintex pads for $44 PER AXLE - front left & right. That's about L100.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

If cash flow is an issue, AND you know which end of the screwdriver works the screws and which end you are supposed to hold onto, you can replace the brakes yourself in about an hour (less if you have done it before). This is especially true if your rotors aren't worn out yet, and rotors should reasonably last through at least two sets of brake pads.

BMW will install more BMW pads, the brake shop -- or you -- will probably install aftermarket pads. If you do the job, you can get pads that make less dust. This is generally viewed as an improvement.

Reply to
J Strickland

I think that's a bit low. My experience was that the rotors cost $50 per corner, and the pads were $50 per axle set. This makes an axle cost about $150.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Buy and Sell