Replace Front Brake on TJ

Hello everyone,

I have to replace the front brakes on my 97 Jeep TJ and I thought I would ask for some help here. I have never done it before but I was thinking if it's not too difficult I might tackle this myself... so do you know of any kind of guide or manual I could follow? Also how difficult do you think it is? What's a reasonable price if I get it done at a garage or dealership? (I live in Ontario...)

Thanks to all for your input. Joe.

Reply to
GA

I checked with the dealership and they quoted me $500 (Canadian) for a complete front brake job...

Any input? Thanks, Joe.

Reply to
GA

Front disc, right? It's a walk in the park. I never did brakes before and after reading this, I had it done in 30 minutes... and I took my time.

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

I agree it's very easy. I read that article and it's very good. The part that literally took the longest for me was the jacking and removal/installation of tires. And that was using a floor jack and a 4-way wrench.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

Define "complete".

Are they replacing rotors and repacking bearings?

There's "brake job" and "pad replacement", find out what you've been quoted.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

thanks for the info! I tried to go to your link for the factory service manual pages but it is broken. Any chance you could post it again?

Thanks, Joe.

Reply to
GA

Oh sorry nevermind, it worked after I tried again...

Joe.

Reply to
GA

No bearings to repack in a TJ, just some rotors that they will needlessly rip him off for.

Mike

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ok I call them back and here is the breakdown...

- parts, rotors and pads, ~$350

- labour ~$150

There is no repacking of bearings... Any comments?

Thanks, Joe.

Reply to
GA

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
twaldron

Yeah.. I agree.. I replaced my rotors and pads for about $60 total from the parts store... Lets see $350 for parts... Hmm.. If they bought them at retail.. That would be about a 500% mark up.... I would shop around or try to do it yourself...

Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Joe... Seriously... Do It Yourself. It's easier than you'd think and the links posted walk you through it. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

I agree with everyone else, it is a 15 minute job per wheel once you know how to do it and 10 of them is taking the wheel on and off.

Unless your brakes are pulsating or gone 'fish scale' from metal on metal you do not need rotors. The groves will wear in just fine.

Mike

Nathan Otis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

GA did pass the time by typing:

As most every one else has said, do it yourself. It's so easy a grade school dropout can do it. (and in some cases that's what your getting) :)

Although I replaced my rotors, I never did a writeup because it went so quickly.

Here is a link on Kolak's stillen upgrade for the grand (same thing I did to my ZJ)

The only thing I disagree with in the photos is he is pushing directly on the piston, you should press against the old pad to avoid bending the pistons thin metal.

Reply to
DougW

Go buy some brake pads for $50 (UDS) or less, and do the job yourself. If you have a buddy or a neighbor that is always working on this sort of stuff, ask him to help you learn how to do it yourself. It is really quite simple, but if you gotta ask, then you should probably be shown not told. The problem is, there are variables that could be important, but unless the instructor is there with you walking you through it, the variables might be missed and then you could be screwwed. What is worse is the guy in front of you can become an innocent victim of a simple mistake.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I just bevel the leading edge, but now many pads seem to come like that new. Also, rough them up against the pavement to deglaze them and make them bed in a bit faster...

Some use silicone to dampen any

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to