E46 Roof Adjustment

The inside roof panel has plastic guides that sometimes break. I replaced a set of them on my daughter's car, but now the glass roof panel does not stop in the right place.

I removed 6 screws to take the glass out, and put the screws back in to hold the glass. I do not recall the holes as having slots in them, so I didn't bother to check that there was an adjustment point there.

If I monkey with the switch that drives the roof, I can force the roof to park in the right place, but if I simply use the roof switch as it is designed, the glass sits too low in the hole. The result is that there are air leaks now, and my kid says that water comes in while she takes the car through the wash rack.

I haven't got a manual for this car, so I have to do a certain amount of flying by the seat of my pants. Is there a specific adjustment for this area, or is the proper procedure to just take it apart until it works?

Thanks,

PS For those of you out there with a floppy moon roof panel on the inside of your E46, the repair is easy to do at home, the caveat being that there is apparently an adjustment point for the glass that is easily overlooked. You need a 30- and a 20- or 25-torx to remove the screws. There are 6 screws on the glass (3 on each rail) and 4 screws that hold the plastic parts to the inner panel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I helped with the sun shade repair last time, so I guess I should help finish the job. :-)

The glass can be adjusted by loosening the screws and repositioning. My Bentley manual says that the front of the glass should be "flush to 1 mm higher than the roof top" and the rear of the glass should be "flush to

1 mm lower than the roof top."

That's what I did with mine (2000 323i) and it works fine.

Reply to
Thomas Wright

So, the holes in the panel where the screws go are slotted? I didn't notice that. It makes the repair easy, I was thinking the Stop Switch inside the gear box had moved, or something along those lines. This'll be easy ...

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff Strickland