Fixed mast antenna for E30?

I've owned my '89 E30 (325is) since brand new. I've replaced the motorized antenna mast at least 4 times and it's broken again. I'd like to replace this antenna with a simple, non motorized fixed antenna mast because the part alone is around $150. My local BMW shop won't do it (they're not really creative thinkers or improvisers; they just like to bolt on parts). I haven't been to the dealer, yet. Has anyone tried this? If so, what type of antenna did you purchase?

Many thanks in advance!! JP

Reply to
jpayne

Psycho

Get a piece of TV aerial cable and fit a plug to fit your radio. Lead the cable up to the front screen and tape into position. Now strip off all the outer plastic covering, all the plaited shielding bar a few inches and fix this to the car body with a screw somewhere out out sight. Now strip off all the inner plastic around the centre core wire and using Freezer tape (its clear and stays that way. Tape the bare wire up the side of the screen and along the top.

One nice radio aerial that cannot be removed by vandals or pack up electrically as there is no motor.

Yo could get a choke (electrically) kit that will use the rear screen heater as an aerial as in the 5 & 7 series. An easy and cheap one to look for is one from an old ROVER Sterling UK car. The amplifier and choke unit is under the rear screen in the trunk/boot and is held by 4 screws. Connections are marked so easy fit all you need is extra cable which is also fitted to the car so off to the local wrecker or eBay.............

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

The E36 convertibles have a fixed antenna that is mounted to the rear fender. It has a rubber base that is about 4 inches long, so it can flex when something hits it.

I've seen them on eBay.

I think your car has a convertible model that uses a similar antenna.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to