Front Control Arm Repair

I am going to have to replace the front control arms (lower in case anyone asks) on my son's 87 325i and am wondering it I can press out the old ball joints and press in new ones. I see the entire arms for sale but I also see "kits" that just have the ball joints and new control arm bushings. Will probably go to a bushing that's adjustable for camber but I'm still looking into that. Opinions are accepted on this... Mainly looking to see if anyone else has fixed these this way or if they've just replaced the whole arm.

Reply to
Psycho

Don't know the particular parts, but usually you need a press.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Reply to
Psycho

I just replaced the whole arm for $100 ea. If your inner BJs are bad, your outers are not far behind. New bushing mandatory and require a special adhesive. Labor was $150 per side. Add new tie rods and you're done with the front end.

Reply to
Misterbeets

The outer balljoints are the only ones that are replaceable. But they are also the ones that tend to wear out (with the weight of the car on them).

Replacement arms can be found on eBay for $130 for the pair including the required new bushings:

For that price it doesn't make sense to try to press in new outer joints since you will probably end up replacing the bushings too anyway.

I have bought BMW suspension parts from this vendor in the past and the Hamburg Technic parts seem to be of better quality than the Meyle or other aftermarket brands around, and substantially less expensive than the OE Lempforder (sp?) parts.

There is no adhesive required for the bushings. You only need something to use as a lubricant that will dissipate and not damage the rubber of the bush. I use silicone spray which works fine.

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
Psycho

Good deal. You won't regret it. I actually have received my parts from them in 2-3 days anyway because they are just down the road in Connecticut.

I have the M3 bushings on my E36 as well and I really like the feeling the added castor gives to the steering. It improved the straight line stability and provides an increase in the "return to center" that I like. The only downside was a slight increase in the feeling of bumpsa nd road vibration in the wheel, but many folks say they actually prefer it that way too.

So now, the only trick for you (other than busting the balljoints out of the car) will be to get the new bushings pressed into the brackets (ans the old ones out obviously).

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
Psycho