Heated Mirror - on all the time (1999-323i)

Hi all,

I have 1999-323i, and recently the outside rear view mirrors are hot all the time -- I have replaced them several days ago. Before that, they weren't even warm -- now they're hot. Are they supposed to be heated all the time? I did googling on this, and some says yes, but I don't think they were ever hot like that before.

Thanks.

Reply to
WK2

On all the cars I've had with heated mirrors, they come on with the ignition. None have felt exactly hot, but they should certainly feel warm. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes, they are quite warm whenever the ignition is on. Maybe your old ones were malfunctioning.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Thanks Mike and Tom.

Maybe my old ones were not working properly, I agree. But now they're HOT, not "warm". Is this normal? I'm a bit concerned if there's a serious electrical problem.

Reply to
WK2

I know on some cars, it is activated by the rear window defroster - I cannot say what method bimmer uses tho.

Reply to
Chom_Noamsky

I wouldn't worry too much about it if they're both the same. If they are, I can't see that two new ones would have the same fault, so perhaps they are supposed to be warmer than one would expect. As long as they don't blow fuses or melt the mirror housings...... :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

BMW heated mirrors are typically turned on automatically based on outside air temperature. Same goes for the heated door locks. However, as another poster suggested, the heating elements in some cars are also activated by the defroster button. I'm not sure of which models do that.

If it's 80 degrees outside and the heating elements are active something is wrong. Have a tech (preferably one with a GT1 analyzer) look at it.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Vetter

On the OP's early E46, the mirrors are heated whenever the ignition is on.

Nope - that was the BMW design. Hopefully the E90 and other newer models have some sort of temp sensor, but the 1999 E46 didn't.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

And I'm amazed they're still working. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all for your comments.

I've detached the mirrors and saw two wires for each mirror. I wonder, if I can wire either a switch for it or somehow wire to the rear window defog switch. Do you think it's dangerous? I don' really understand why it's so hard for BMW to have such switch, and that's why I think my initial mirrors got bad spots within a few years and must be broken -- they weren't even warm. And it's really unnecessary when it's 90 degree outside and these mirrors are heated -- and hot.

Reply to
WK2

No problem Dave, I just switch off the ignition when going downhill to save the mirrors. :-)

1999 was also the same year that gave us the (U.S.) E46 climate control system that always blows stale air at you when the ignition is turned on (until it is manually turned off) - even when the fan was shut down before switching off the car .

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.