Auto Dim mirror insatllation

Hi, I just bought a new 05 highlander, for some reason , I want to upgrade the regular mirror into auto dim with compass one. So I bought the mirror from internet, but the problem is I do not know how to install it. I bought it to the car mechicican but he has no clue about installation. So where should I tend to , car body shop or just car dealer ? I live in Houston area. Very appreciated for any input. Henry

Reply to
Henry Lee

Henry,

I recommend that you do not bring your new Highlander to the same mechanic for service because the mirror installation is probably very easy. If he cannot figure out how to do that simple procedure, he probably will not know how to work on something more complicated like the engine, electronic control units, etc.

You can bring the mirror to a place that does audio system installations, or to the dealer for installation.

Reply to
Ray O

Just run the power to the overhead lights above the mirror and you are done...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Have you actually driven a vehicle with auto-dimming rear view mirror? My mother-in-law's Buick LeSabre has auto-dimming mirror and auto windshield wipers. They are two of the most annoying gadgets in a vehicle I have ever seen. Even worse than DRLs and auto-locks.

The mirror constantly changes the intensity of lights behind you and isn't too quick to do it either. It also makes my brain work harder to determine the distance of the vehicle behind me. I prefer the manual switch; that way I can get used to a certain visibility and not be distracted constantly by the difference in headlight intensity.

Reply to
badgolferman

The auto-dimming rear view mirrors in our LS and Sequoia are nice. You do not notice that the dimming is happening, they just unobtrusively cut the glare.

I guess I'm getting spoiled as I get older. I remember...

AC? Who needs AC?

Power windows and door locks? Too lazy to reach over to unlock and lock?

Remote control mirrors? Too lazy to reach out the window?

Electric remote control mirrors? What was wrong with the cable ones?

Cruise control? If you're too tired to press the pedal, you're too tired to drive!

Auto locking hubs? Can't plan ahead before heading into the mud?

Power sunroof? Too lazy to crank the sunroof?

Remote keyless entry? Too hard to stick the key in the hole?

Heated seats? What's wrong with warming the leather the old-fashioned way - with your behind?

Auto dimming rear view mirror - too hard to push the lever?

Auto headlights? Need help remembering?

GPS mapping? Can't read a map and drive at the same time?

Reply to
Ray O