How do you get the convertible in a '94 325i to work?

We just got this car for our son and can't figure out how to get the convertible to work. Anyone know the steps?

Reply to
CherrydaleWM

Hi The first thing you have to establish is if the 2 motors in the boot are in place. If yes then you may just need to initialize the roof.This is done by holding the button down and turning on the key. the lid will move down slightly and then the roof should work.if not, refit the motors and try to initializs the roof.

Reply to
Clive Bagg

Turn the release handle and push the button.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My roof requires me to push it as I operate the switch. If I simply press the switch, the roof will not always operate, so I push the roof upward until the motor can take over. The rear window section will raise, then the panel between the back seat and the trunk lid goes up, then the rear window section drops and the front section that secures to the windshield goes up as roof folds into the storage compartment. I have to lift the front section to get the compartment door to open, then lift the front section again to get the roof to fold up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hi.There is a microswitch in the roof frame to tell the control unit weather the roof is overstretched.that switch is not adjusted or is faulty.

Reply to
Clive Bagg

I ought to read my manual more. There are apparently three versions of top, a manually operated, a semi-automatic, and a fully automatic. Mine -- described earlier -- is the semi-automatic one. The fully automatic top was offered on the E36 cars, but (my manual is a bit confusing on the application date) was not available until the 1996 or 1997 models.

My 1994 has to be unlatched by hand, but has a motor to retract and extend the top. This means to me that it is semi automatic. The fully automatic top is able to latch and unlatch electrically, and the manual top has no motor. At least that is what the three terms mean to me -- the manual is not clear on the topic, and offers application dates that conflict with what is on my car.

In any case, have you determined if your top is manual -- must be operated by hand -- or is semi-automatic? If you have no button on the center console just forward of the shifter, then I suspect you have a manually operated top. If so, then you simply operate the latching mechanism at the top of the windshield, and lift the top and fold it into the storage compartment.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland