VW Golf, Y-Plate, How to replace off-side rear light cluster?

As title.

Just been around to my sister's to help her out with some PC issues - when I pulled up behind her car I noticed that the off-side rear light cluster was damaged (bits of broken coloured plastic lens all-over the place).

(Seems like a couple of kids on motorbikes had a collision 50 yards up the road last night - it was pissing down and the area isn't well lit - that and the fact that her offside-rear tyre has a gash in it suggests one of the little blighters may have clipped her parked car). Anyway, I digress...

From what I can gather, the lens appears to be bonded to a dark-grey / black form, and I think that's bolted / clipped to the body work *somehow*.

So...

Firstly, can the lens be bought separately?, if so, how to get the old lens off and bond the new one on?

If not, how does the inner form come off? (this looks a rather more complex disassembly / reassembly job, albeit maybe quicker depending on the answer to the first question).

Anyone got any useful diagrams?

(Needless to say she hasn't got a haynes)

Thanks, in advance.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

This is a Mk4 golf right ? (read on if it is)

If I can remember rightly there are 3 10mm (think its 10mm) bolts. Hard to explain where they are easily but seen\felt.

Just a case of unbolting old one and re bolting new one. Not sure what the dark grey stuff your talking about is.

They can be bought easily from VW or ebay alike.

Reply to
magicman

Okay, thanks, the "dark grey stuff" - looking at some piccies on Ebay, all part of the assembly, forms the cowling into which the light clusters plug into, and is what the lenses are bonded to.

Info on 3 10mm bolts is useful though, thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Nearly anything on a VW is held on with 10mm bolts. If it's not 10, it's 13, and if it's not 13, it's a door hinge and that's 15...

Reply to
Doki
[...]

I would be surprised if there are many 10mm bolts on any car...

A nut or bolt that requires a 10mm spanner will usually have a thread diameter of 6mm for example.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

To settle the nut-size debate. They're 8mm.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Thanks for info. Yes, indeed, 3 x bolts (actually 8mm, but who's counting), and a cunning clip where there's a contoured tongue that runs down the lower edge along the bumper towards the front. Bought one from a scrappers (actually new, £40), and there's an obvious push-fit restraint/clip in addition to the bolts.

Just waiting for the car to be returned (Hmmm, gashed tyre - replace with spare?, nope, spare flat & punctured, ok, lets take the spare to get a replacement tyre - hmmm, but first, where's the locking nut adaptor - she's lost that. Hmmm, lets belt an old socket over the locking wheel nut - blast!, security ring on the locking wheel nut just spins the socket, which I now can't remove). THEN she mentions the bloody tyre place 50 yards down the road. Bloody women.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Ahhh thought it was 10 but was a while ago I did the job. Glad it all going well :)

Reply to
magicman