Is it possible to ADD the DVD navigation??

If the only car available in the color I want is one without navigation, is it possible for the dealer to add the factory original in dash OEM DVD navigation system?

Another option I'm curious about being dealer installable or end user installable is xenon headlights. Is this just a matter of ordering up the xenon lights off the net and putting them in myself? or is there different wiring, any electronics anywhere, any difference in the dashboard icons, etc?

Just out of curiousity, and this is probably a stupid idea that might hurt the value of the car, but is it possible to change the color of the car very easily? I mean, to get a factory quality paint finish would likely mean disassembling the car down to the frame right? probably not a good idea?

Reply to
Nobody

"Nobody" wrote

I don't believe that you can add it, since nav requires iDrive, and a different wiring harness.

Xenon is not really addable. It requires the headlight washers, a different wiring harness and power supply, and a completely different headlight assembly because of the bi-xenon feature. There are ways to do it, but it wouldn't be legal and probably wouldn't provide better illumination than the halogens.

Definitely not a good idea. Definitely expensive - I would guess over $10K.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Is that rue on all models? Our Bimmer has bi-xenon and no washers.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Well, US law doesn't require headlight washers, however you should have them and the auto-leveling adjustment hardware that is part of the OEM Xenon lights. Otherwise you risk exposing others to very high (and illegal) levels of glare. All European cars have to have those features for that reason. I know that some US cars don't have the washers.

I am not aware of *ANY* aftermarket headlight that has those. And if you bought the OEM parts, you're probably in $2500.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Thanks for the info Floyd. Kind of disappointing news on all three fronts. Argh... :(...

I'm surprised the Xenons are so much hassle to add. I thought I saw xenon conversion kits on the net. I found this website

I remember reading somewhere about halogen to xenon conversion kits, that they aren't true xenons because they dont change the reflectors, lenses, etc. That it just gives you the look of xenon without really being xenon.

Since I see that a lot of the features are impossible to add, Is it possible for the dealer to install the upgraded 19" wheels? (going from non 19" wheels) Just asking on this because obviously the wheel circumference will change throwing off the odometer and speedometer, etc. Can the dealer recalibrate? Or are there also gear/axle differences?

Reply to
Nobody

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what the hell. Why not just bite the bullet and wait the time the dealer needs to get the car with exactly the spec. you want from another dealer?

I've done it twice in the last 10 years, admittedly not with BMW dealers (but car dealers are car dealers), and all it cost me was 2 or

3 weeks wait each time.
Reply to
Dean Dark

Believe me, I would if it were that easy :). Except that the car in question (the M3) was discontinued a month ago. I've ordered an in production car before and it took about 2 weeks. A guy I know ordered an M3, and it took about a month.

Now why do I want a discontinued model when the new M3 is due in < 6 months? Because the new M3 will have a new body style that'll be ugly as all hell and cost about $5k - $7k more.

Reply to
Nobody

"Nobody" wrote

but I remember reading somewhere about halogen to xenon conversion kits, > that they aren't true xenons because they dont change the reflectors, > lenses, etc. That it just gives you the look of xenon without really being > xenon.

Yes. It appears from the website and limited info there, that this is strictly a bulb replacement kit. That's a very bad idea, because the foci, reflectors etc. of the halogens don't match what is needed for Xenon. Check out Daniel Stern's website for more specific info and reasons not to use these:

He's about the best there is at thissubject - you can also google groups (here in AAB and in rec.autos.driving)for his posts on the subjects.

Wheels are easy. When you go to a larger diameter wheel, you get a lower profile tire. For instance, on the 2001 model years to go from a 16" to 17" wheel you go from a 225/50R16 to a 225/45R17; this keeps the overall diameter of the tire the same. Go to

and poke around, look for the "Plus Concept" in their tech section.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

It's maybe still be worth a try though.

I bought a T*y*t* MR2 for SWMBO after they'd been discontinued in the US, and when the local T*y*t* dealer finally realized I wasn't going to buy the white one he had on his lot, he got exactly the desired spec. car from another dealer 400 miles away.

Reply to
Dean Dark

So you're looking for an E46 M3? All have Xenons I thought and the later ones have bi-xenons. I'm pretty sure that adding i-xenons is possible (well of course it's possible).

Navigation can be retrofitted but it's costly. Even the wiring looms are $$$. There's probably more to it than adding xenons. You'll get a better functioning unit by going aftermarket though. Search on the net for navigation retrofit.

Resprays won't hurt provided the color is nicer than before, the job is done well and you have pictures of the process to show potential buyers that it wasn't done as a result of accident damage. I mean, if you buy say a white M3 you can only add value by respraying it :-)

Reply to
adder1969

I have also heard that the BMW navigation system is not as good as those offered by other manufacturers. Aftermarket units are pretty darned good now.

Reply to
Rex B

If you go with new parts and pay someone to fit them you're looking at thousands. It is cool having the monitor display but the navigation system itself isn't all that great.

Reply to
adder1969

Agree, compared to the ones used by the Japanese mfrs, you see a MAJOR difference. In fact, its no contest. IF you really need a NAV system, look aftermarket.

As for Xenon lights, the bargain was ordering it new. For what $800, you get the bi-Xenon with adjustable whatever. Good stuff at a very reasonable price.

As for aftermarket Xenon, forgetaboutit! Really, the only way is to buy the OE kit and add it. However, assuming its possible to add, BMW OE Xenon lights will probably set you back $1200-1500.

Reply to
bfd

In the US, there is no such thing as an "illegal level of glare." If the lights are DOT legal, they're legal. Period.

-- Larry (Miata with Cibie Z-beams... 8;)

Reply to
pltrgyst

...and the DOT pattern headlamps are about the most glare producing ones out there.

Reply to
Fred W

"pltrgyst" wrote

Only if you have APPROVED bulbs in them. People replacing their 55w bulbs with 85w/110w bulbs (or Xenon capsules) are breaking the law. Note that all those bulbs are labelled for "off road use only".

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Try aiming your lights into the eyes of oncoming drivers then explaining in court "they're DOT legal. End of story".

Reply to
Richard Sexton

We're not discussing improper aiming, which would put your vehicle in violation of your state motor vehicle inspection requirements. We're discussing glare due to a dirty headlight lens, which occurs during normal operation of a conforming vehicle. Can you cite a single state law requiring headlight lenses to meet a standard of cleanliness during normal use?

Do try to keep up.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Lighting laws tend in the US to be on the order of "must be visible from

200 feet" and are hopelessly out of date. A bit of common sense and politeness goes a logn way and we wouldn't need laws if these were less scarce commodities.

Xenons are a fashion statement. They can make white ones but people want blue ones so poeple nkow they've spent a lot of money. True story. You're better off with halogens and driving lights. There are a number of reasons why you don't want xenons, especially in incleemnt weather to say nothing of the fact they're the most obnoxious thing on the planet to oncoming drivers.

Of course some people thrive on being obnoxious.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

This is unlikely to be cost effectve.

Ditto, but you can buy Xenon filled bulbs to fit in normal headlights. Not as good as discharge bulbs, but a hell of a lot brighter than standard. You can also get higher wattage bulbs (100W instead of 65W).

I had a car badly vandalised in the 90's, and got a complete respray very reasonably. The colour was nearer gold than the original bronze metallic (which had a weird greenish tinge). Although the paint was a little soft, the finish was excellent and stayed good for the remaining 9+ years I kept it.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton