DVD Navigation Systems, is there a standard DVD format?

I'm planning to purchase a pioneer or alpine aftermarket DVD navigation system for my 1998 LS400, but interested to know if the DVDs format are standard for all over the world? That is any DVD map will work on that system, I don't live in the US so I'll not be using the US map DVD.

Reply to
Iantos

OK>..

You question is easy and hard at the same time.

Simple answer is NO....DVD is not the same everywhere.

DVD Rom, which is used by Alpine/Pioneer is a storage device. To access this data, it must use the hardware it was intended to be used on. This is because of the Operating System software.

I think what you are asking is to purchase a US based GPS system, and take it to another part of the world? You would then get a DVD disc for that region?

I believe you will also run into the problem of DVD video region coding. US uses a different Region Code then Europe or Asia.

Hope this helps ...Good luck...

Reply to
Masterson