K reg 3 series steering

My mate has a K reg 3 series and I had a drive in it the other day. I think the steering is dodgy! The wheel is stiff and doesent return properly to straight, you have to turn it back. Also when travelling in a straight line paticularly at speed as on the motorway it is difficult to control properly, turn the wheel just a little and the car sways side to side. It has been lowered. Could this have anything to do with it? After driving it a second time it did'nt feel as bad I got used to it a little but I think you could loose control if something unexpected forced you to turn sharply. He says his dad had one and it was the same. Could this be true? I believe in safety first and think it should be checked out but how much should he expect to pay? Thanks.

Reply to
oktc