Large Evap Leak

In "playing" with my Peak Research code reader, to show the wife how to use it, it came up with the Code for a large Evap Leak - this is for when the gas cap is not tight, etc.

Problem is, I thought this would set the Check Engine light - it did once before when the gas cap was actually loose. Now cap is fine, no check engine light, yet the code keeps hanging in there.

Any idea? Have I actually got a problem, such as bad pressure sensor, or is it nothing to worry about unless CEL comes on.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

The evaporator is part of your air conditioner. Although, I'm not not sure this is what the code specifies.

Reply to
Enoch Root

Well, everyone to his own, I suppose. A Peake code reader would be pretty far down on *my* list of things to play with with the wife, or even a girlfriend.

But, in the interest of learning more, was she impressed with it? Did she admire the manly fashion in which you wielded it? What is your technique? Any tips for us mere Peake amateurs out here who thought the thing was only for reading fault codes and resetting service lights? Damn! Tell me what I've been missing.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Codes are stored long after the Check light goes out. Reset the code and have another beer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Evaporative Emissions Control System is the source of this trouble code, not the AC evaporator. The Evap Emis Cont Sys deals with escaping gas fumes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suspected as much but without a number code or car model it's hard to tell. That verbage for gas cap leaks are not present on older model bmw's.

Reply to
Enoch Root

Well, I reread the directions with the code reader - code was supposed to be erased when I turned off the CEL previously. Maybe it didn't. This was several months ago, and I thought that I checked that code was cleared at that time - guess I'll try again - didn't think of that before your message Jeff. Thanks.

Oh car is 97 328 - sorry should have included in the first message.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Pending codes are also displayed on the reader. To set the check engine light, most problems (like EVAP leaks) need to come up twice. A fault that has only happened once will not light up but will get pulled with a reader.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Thanks Kyle. I had forgotten this also. If the problem actually turns on the CEL, guess I'll just get a new gas cap. Apparently, it may have a worn seal.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender