1997Max P0446 evap vent valve circuit fault?

What the heck is this? Code reader comes up as above, check engine light codes at 903, which is the same fault. Haynes manual doens't even show an evap vent valve in the schematic, only a purge valve. Changed gas cap already, reset code. It came back on in 8 miles. Where is it, what does it do, and how do I fix it?

Reply to
Yorkmint

I have a 97 Maxima and the CEL light came on about 3 days ago with the 09 03 code.

I thought it was the EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve?

Here's an old post from this NG I copied and pasted:

From: Daniel B. Martin ( snipped-for-privacy@juno88.com) Subject: Re: need help locating the EVAP canister View: Complete Thread (2 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: alt.autos.nissan.maxima Date: 2001-04-30 04:40:07 PST

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 points to a problem with the EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve. EVAP = EVAPorative emissions control system. This is the system which seeks to minimize air pollution which results from evaporation (as opposed to incomplete combustion) of gasoline.

The EVAP CVCV is located on the EVAP canister (underneath the vehicle near the left rear tire) and is used to seal the canister vent. It has one hose connection and one two-wire electrical connector. The solenoid in the EVAP CVCV responds to signals from the ECM. When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger then moves to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is a necessary part of the diagnosis algorithms for other evaporative loss system components. This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains open. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative loss system is depressurized allowing "EVAP Control System (Small Leak)" diagnosis. Since this part is used only for brief emissions tests the vehicle will usually start and run well despite a Service Engine Soon warning light on the dashboard.

The EVAP CVCV may be bench tested. Remove it from the vehicle (one hose, one connector, two bolts). Verify that air may pass freely through the valve. Then use a pair of fused test leads to apply 12 volts to the terminals to energize the solenoid. Verify that air does not pass freely through the valve. If the CVCV fails these tests, try cleaning it with WD-40 and compressed air. If this fails to free it up, replace the valve. When you install a CVCV (the original or a replacement) always use a new O-ring.

Daniel B. Martin Nissan owner and D-I-Y mechanic

dave stone