Low oil on a Sunday.

My 535i is low on oil and I am in the UK on a Sunday with only local filling stations open. I am running Mobil 1 which I doubt I can buy locally in the UK so can anybody suggest what I might buy from a supermarket filling station to top up please? Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

Depends. If the oil warning light is coming on, I'd top up with any fully synthetic oil. If the level is still near or within the marks I'd leave it, and top up with Mobil 1 as soon as I could obtain it. The warning light is your guide as to whether the engine will be damaged if it's not topped up immediately. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes thanks but can I get fully synthetic oil at a filling station? Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

Probably, but if not Halfords definitely have it. Possibly even Mobil 1. Main stores are open until 5pm on Sundays. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I had a bit of luck. There was a Halfords superstore open 2 miles away and I got a litre of Mobil 1 for £11-99p. Thanks all the same for your advice. pete

Reply to
sweigelburger

Yes thank I just found one;-) Sweig

Reply to
sweigelburger

What in the world makes you think yo can not get Mobile 1 on Sunday?

Mobile 1 is available at pretty much ANY auto parts store. In the States, we can get it from a wide variety of big-box retail stores, Target, WalMart, K-Mart, etc. Mobile 1 is nothing special, beyond its superior lubricating abilities.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Unless you're about to do a very long journey at extreme high speeds, leave it untill tomorrow. Unless it's leaking oil badly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And at under half the YooKay price...

Reply to
Dean Dark

In a pinch, just add any old automotive oil. There is no problem caused by mixing dino and synthetics.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

wrote

I know you already found it. For future reference, Esso stations also carry M1. I'm sure you've got Esso in the UK.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Sad. Mobil 1 at Costco in the US is about $4.5 per quart. About 1/3 that price...

Floyd

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I don't get this. In the UK Mobil 1 is hardly scarce, nor is any fully synthetic oil.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks for reminding us that we pay higher prices for oil (and petrol).

As if we neede reminding...

Petrol I can understand (taxes) but oil? I was not aware that there is a special 'luxury tax' on oil in the UK. Maybe there is....

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

There is. Buggers up the properties of synthetic but, I agree, mixing won't cause any engine damage.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think Mobil 1 is overkill on an M30 engine. I run it in my M42 but that's pretty high revving. On my fiance's M30 I use Castrol GTX Magnatex 15w40 synthetic.

Reply to
John Burns

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

I don't really understand this difference. I suspect it's more due to a rip-off by the retailer rather than tax... Of course, the same oil at one of the auto-parts retailers in the US is probably around $8 US - tells you that there's a lot of profit in some of this stuff.

BTW, Costco is now the world's 9th biggest wine retailer (IIRC), and their markup is around 14%. Prices for the same wines at wine shops are half again as much for the same bottle. I understand that the wine buyer(s) for Costco are treated as royalty when they tour wineries in Europe (and other parts of the world, too.)

Hooray for discounters.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Unless the stuff you are getting with Mobil1 labels on it is different than ours, you may rest assured it is fully synthetic.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Rip off. Supply and demand. Transportation costs. Someone is making some extra profit.

No, not that much. 5 dollars and change is more like it. I don't know anyone that would buy Mobil 1 for 8 bucks a qt. The discount on Mobil1 is not as deep as some other things you can find at Walmart / Costco. There is probably some discount limits placed on the deal by Mobil Oil.

Volume speaks, erm... volumes. ;-)

Free market at its best.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I meant any OTHER synthetic oil. Sweigelburger was implying he might find it difficult to get Mobil 1 or any synthetic oil on a Sunday.

Even if he was in a remote location I would be surprised it would be harder to get than non-synthetic.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling