Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Actually... People are always claiming the MX-5 is a "chick" car, but I almost never see a woman driving one. Usually, I see older guys in them - the sort who look to have had an MG or Triumph when they were younger and are sentimental enough to remember it fondly, but wise enough not to repeat the experience. :) epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

That's pretty much on the money. Nothing wrong with a Miata. My Z3 has a little more legroom, and that was what I needed.

Reply to
Rex B

It was actually modelled on a Lotus - the original Elan - which was a fun car to drive, while it worked, which wasn't often. But had amazing handling and comfort - rare in those days of the '60s. The engine was a Lotus twin cam based on the Ford Cortina bottom end.

Older guys in the UK often just get an old Triumph or MG - there are still plenty around and luckily spares are easy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's pretty darned accurate! 8;)

Let's see, I'm 59, and have owned my present 1995 Miata type R (Hard Dog bar, harnesses, Borla, short-shifter, etc.) plus the 1980 TR-8, 1975 Spitfire, 1975 Lola 342 1600 FF, 1972 Pantera, 1971 Lotus Europa S2, 1970 Elden 1600 FF, 1960 TR-3A.

Let's not even discuss the four Alfas and the Fiat Dino, among others...

Although I will say that the TR-8 with a Holley 390 4-bbl, manual rack, Konis, and beefed-up competition brakes was the most rock-solid car I've ever owned for street and track -- wish I still had it and the Dino today.

They were all a ton of fun. By comparison, today's Miatas and BMWs feel like appliances -- they're almost too perfect.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Dave Plowman (News) wrote: : In article , : Victor A. Garcia wrote: :: Yup, if you dare to ask .... go get the Miata, it's a nice car. : :: When you grow up, drive a BMW, after that, you'll never ask again. : : You mean the Z4 is an old man's car? The MX5 certainly ain't.

Not at all, I mean a BMW is for the 'refined man/woman that apreciate the best quality, and is willing to pay for it', the Miata, while a pretty good car ... it's not a same level as the Z's.

: : -- : *Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark * : : Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW : To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Reply to
Victor A. Garcia

The MX5 is the car that the British sports car should have been.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Considering that the MX-5 first appeared ten years after the demise of the affordable British sports car, that should probably be "would have been ten years later."

OTOH, I've got a friend here in DC who currently vintage races MG-Bs, and they're remarkably robust. I rode around Summitt Point Raceway in a bugeye Sprite last year, and it still cornered like a roller skate and gace a thrilling ride that you couldn't get out of any significant quantity production car today, including the bloated BMW Mini-Cooper. My 1972 Elden is dead reliable, and its

1600cc British Ford race engine is at least 15 years old.

I think we're still seeing the cumulative effect of fifty years of Lucas jokes...

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Great. Only 50 more to go.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Exactly.

I don't think the MGs were a bundle of joy in that department.

The best car is a RELIABLE car and the MX5 was that when it launched, was it not?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yeah, I guess so.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

By the standards of the times, the MG-A and B, the Midget, and the Tr-3 through

8 were extremely reliable vehicles. Heck, I even put 90,000 miles on a 1972 Fiat 124 Spider in three years without anything but normal maintenance.

Certainly, and that's reflective of the advances in technology. Today's power trains should need only normal maintenance for at least 150,000 miles.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

I ran a two year old '70 1275 Midget for three years without any problems. And I drove it hard. Of course it needed regular servicing - not just oil changes - but then cars did in those days.

Of course it's more reliable than cars with points ignition and carbs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

MG didn't stop production before the first Miata was released - weren't they making cars up until last year? How were those? epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

MGBs were last made in 1980 IIRC. Thee were cars produced in limited numbers after that that bore the MG nameplate, but they were hardly comparable.

Reply to
Rex B

Bah. Real sportscars only work weekends.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Actually, MGs were pretty much bulletproof, and still make a reliable everyday proposition nowadays.

Yup. The MX5/Miata may have looked a little like an Elan but it was definitely the spiritual successor to the dear old MGB. And there's nothing wrong with that.

(If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit sportscar, then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

- Robin

Reply to
Robin Parkinson

It *is* the spiritual successor to the Elan - that's what it was modelled on. Superb handling, decent comfort, good steering, gearbox, brakes and willing engine. Not just out and out performance, but fun to drive.

Really not a lot like a 'B' - however nice they can be. But I always thought the Spriget a better car than the B.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd have said it's closer to a Stag. The Healey is a brutal heavy car to drive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I understand when the original Miata was first introduced to the press in Japan, a nice original Lotus Elan - and nothing else - was on hand for comparison. The first Miata I ever saw was an autocrosser that was painted in the classic Lotus two-tone colors

Reply to
Rex B

Especially *multiple* carbs. Especially SU's.

Uni-Syn fans, anyone? 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst