Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Dead-on.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

The Stags I drove felt more nose-heavy than my TR-8.

Now maybe a TVR...

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

My Z4 reminds me a bit of the Jensen-Healey I nearly bought in the 70's.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

It is indeed. However, I can't agree with you when you compare a Z4 to a Stag: a Stag's got too many cylinders, too many seats, too much metal above the waistline. Too much metal below it, come to think of it.

I like Stags, and I've often vaguely contemplated getting one (a friend has a Stag to complement his Elise) but I have difficulty thinking of it as a sportscar. Nice sporty tourer, though.

- Robin.

Reply to
Robin Parkinson

Yes, I can see that. However, I was thinking more along the lines of 'reliable, all-year ragtop from a major manufacturer; liberal use of the parts bin for the mechanicals; not blisteringly fast, but huge fun.'

So did I. I was very fond of my bro's little Series II Midget. It was a better car than my old Mk II Spit, anyway....

- Robin.

Reply to
Robin Parkinson

That pun works only in American. Good thing most people here are..

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Written version, that is...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Guess you guys (or gals) have not had the chance to drive a 04-05 Mazdaspeed MX-5 with factory intercooled turbo. A real blast. Factory stock it is faster than the Z4 2.5, and with a few mods considerably faster than the 3.0. It will handely out accellerate the Z cars up to its RPM limited top speed of 130 MPH. It was only sold in US, Canada and Japan. as a bonus, with the performance mods, it is still considerably cheaper that the BMW and certainly a more drivers orientated car. And before you slam me for praising it over the Z, I own and love both cars. The MX-5 is akin to a go- cart for having fun, where the Z is more of a touring car with a drop-top. When the weather permits, I find I reach for the MX-5 keys more than the Z's.

Just my 2 cents

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 '04 330Ci ZHP '05 C230 K Sport '05 Z4 3.0

Reply to
-

On 7/3/2006 7:53 AM, - went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced this interesting bit of text:

I'm certainly not going to dispute your opinion, and frankly, I don't really have an opinion about which is better. However, speed is really a non-issue, isn't it? My '94 530i has a top speed of 145. I'm not sure I've even hit 100 in it since I got it 2 years ago. I'd LOVE to see how it'd do at top speed, not to mention how I'd do. But where can I do this? Even Montana cops will bust you if you do around 100.

Unless you meant speed while cornering or other maneuvering.

Reply to
Voinin

I don't think ultimate top speed was the comparison being made. It rarely is, as it's both scary and boring at the same time.

But if you really want to run your car at it's top speed, there are ways to do it. Several organizations have open road challenge events, where they get permission to close off a public road, then entrants can drive their cars at top speed for 60 - 90 miles or so. The oldest of these is the Silver State Challenge in Nevada. Similar events are held in Texas, with one near Midland. And by the way, there is an unused test track complex near Pecos Texas, which includes a 10 mile oval, with banking calculated to require minimum steering input to stay on course. It's flat-out all the way around, for anything on 4 wheels short of a Bonneville streamliner. Now, getting permission to run on it might be another matter. Last I heard it had been transferred to the City of Pecos to do with it what they will. They were shopping it around for someone to operate it as a test track.

Reply to
Rex B