My I968 RT Charger vs a BMW M5 or 6 and there mite have been a R in

there too ?

It looked new and kinda cool looking too . I belive the hood had a hood scoop on it too. Do you guys know what car that is i am talking about ? What kind of engine did it have , HP and Torque and how much dose it weight ? I think it said M5 ??? I was going down the freeway doing about 60 when the BMW pulled up to me and sat there for awhile so i knew we were going to get it on.

He hit it first and pulled a little in front of me and i hit next and my 440 magnum came to life and started digging hard to catch him.. We went about a I/4 mile and he had pulled out to a car length a head of me and i could not catch him.... I was doing around I20 to I25 when we started to slow down..

So from 60 to I20 + That BMW was fast ....

My car is pretty heavy 4,000 LB ..... i have the gear ratio for freeways 323 rear end but it was not enough or maybe it was too tall of gearing and 355 mite have giving me the edge ?

Hey if you know what kind of BMW i am talking about can you post a pic ? Thanks

Reply to
Nasty Dad

One can't post attachments on this group. Your engine gives about 275kW, but how much gets through the basic 3 speed auto is another matter!

Many BMW's with higher or comparable power that might have burnt you off, these include, but are not necessarily limited to: -

335i current (less power but at ~1.5Mg a lot lighter than a Dodge (~2Mg)). M3 almost certain current or previous models 540i previous 545i recent (engine upgrade) 550i very likely current M5 almost certain current or previous models 650i very likely current M6 almost certain current 760i very likely current or previous models 850CSi previous Z8 very likely classic any Alpina variant

Even a 335d (for diesel) with a manual box might give you a run for your money :-}}}.

All of them would be better at the top end up to their governed top speed of

250kph (220 US), due to your car's limited gearing and poor aerodynamics...

So you will need to give us a few more clues - e.g. number of doors, drop head etc..

Almost every BMW made in the last thirty years - even a lowly 316* - would

**** on US heavy iron going around corners.

PS in future have a quick look at the rear end of BMW's as they pass you. Unless owners are discrete and take the badges off, most BMW's tell you their model and engine e.g. 523i = 5 series (med 4d saloon) with 2.3 litre petrol engine.

  • except perhaps the SUV type X5, but even that probably handles better than your car.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

It was a BMW M-5 .......Are there 5 or 6 speeds ?

Yes my aero dynamics is bad on the I968 Charger because it catches the air like a baseball catchers mit + i do not have a front bumper so even more air my car has to push through ......Yes i have a automatic

They are cool looking cars , it was black and it had a hood scoop or at least i think it was a hood scoop ?

A guy at work told me they cost around 80,000 $ ....

I do not know how accurate my speedometer is at those speeds but it was saying I20 to I25 so my best guess the BMW M 5 was going I30 to I35 .....

It was FUN to race it even though i lost ..

I do not know what year the BMW was either ? It looked pretty new to me ...My car is from I968 What kind of engine do they have ?

Thank you for all that info you posted ..

By the way as much fun as it was it was also very dumb to do too.....We were lucky no cops were around.......

Reply to
SAT W-7

Yes most cars handle better than my car ..ha ha...... I will still look for a pic of the car but i am 99 % sure now it was a BMW M-5 ..i remember the M .......what years did they make those cars because this one looked really nice so that makes me think it was new or maybe just well taken care of.....

Yes i wish my car was a 4 - speed because they are much more fun...

nite

Reply to
SAT W-7

The M5 (Mototsport) has been around for several model changes: -

E28 (1985-88) - five speed manual - I drove one of these in ~1987, however it had the same engine as my 735i manual (good for 145mph*) and only slightly different gearing. At that time I didn't really rate it, and in a straight line it probably wouldn't catch your Dodge.

E34 (1989-95) - Better, but still no cigar, some late models had 6 speed manual. Would probably catch your Dodge eventually.

E39 (1998-2003) - 6 speed manual - now we are talking "the fastest 4-door sedan in the world at the time it was manufactured". This would burn off your Dodge without serious excertion. It can also go around corners and stop in a straight line. Looks a lot better too.

E60 (2005-) - 7 speed sequential (but not for US drivers). Special V10 engine and other 'fluffy' features (like "launch control") mean that BMW have probably overdone it this time. The regular cars are now as good as earler M cars.

Depends on the model and exchange rates, but that is about right.

You might get a used bargain, especially if you personally import an unslugged one from Europe, not only that you could have a drive on the autobahn, where there are no speed limits before you went home.

BMW's are governed to 250kmph (less in the USA).

  • (on the clock, probably ~137mph) witnessed by Larry O. Gostin Professor at Law, but obviously as an attorney he couldn't be compelled to give evidence... ;-) He had naively asked "how fast does this car go?". I didn't know, so I put my foot down and we found out.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

No, the E28 M5 had the the S38 engine, while 535i & 735i had M30. Both were 3.5L sixes, but the S38 was DOHC while M30 was SOHC.

This was a 5L V8 making 400hp. In the US, they are relatively cheap; from arount $17,000 on up to around $40,000 for a really nice one.

Again, not correct. The 1st year or two of the current M5 was only available with the SMG transmission in the US; 2007 models were the first to have a 6 speed available. New they are around $95K, used early 2006 models are as low as $65K.

M5 (and 3, 6, etc.) are governed the same in the US as in the EU.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

----- Original Message ----- From: "Floyd Rogers" Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:53 PM Subject: Re: My I968 RT Charger burnt off by a BMW

snip

Only in the USA, where it was fitted to reduce the debilitating effects of the catalytic converter, but was actually slower. Elsewhere it was an M88, which did differ by having an extra cam shaft, but as I stated, not that different.

This was a mistake, I thought that the M5 was only made available once the the manual was available, and in the USA only with it fitted.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

The M88 is quite a different engine from the M30 that was in the 535i and 735i (twin vs. single cams, to begin with.) Perhaps you're thinking of the M535i, which had the M88 not the M30.

I can find no evidence that the M88 was ever used in a 735i (or 535i without the "M" designation). Check John Burns' website:

and google around. FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I think perhaps I was :-( hence not much noticable difference in performance when I drove it. The official M badge fooled me, and probably not a few purchasers!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote

Could have been just a badge, as well; lots of up-badging as well as de-badging. There have been many discussions about the plethora of designations of BMW cars. I never figured out the M535i/M635Csi stuff until a couple of years ago - partly because we never got them in the US. BMW is going to wacko badging with the X3/X5/X6 here in the US - I believe that the X5 is going to be "X5 xDrive35d".

And then there are the after-market guys (not so much in Europe because of your inspection regulations), but it's quite possible that someone has put an M88/S38 into a 7-series from that era.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

A modern BMW has a 5 speed automatic that includes overdrive. With a 68 charger with an automatic (3 speeds) you have no chance of beating in a high speed race. 0 to 60, maybe.

I raced an M3 with my 69 Vette about 10 years ago. Was a surface street so I pulled out at about 60 mph. I had the 427 with 3 carbs for 435 hp. I would punch it and pull a half lenght ahead then shift. He would catch up so I would punch it in that gear and get ahead, then I would shift and he would catch up. I could keep ahead basically any time I wanted.

You cannot compare perfornance of classic cars to modern ones. They were each designed for different times.

Bet your Charger is going up in value whereas that M3 is dropping in value. I have a 64 Vette convertible in my garage along with my wife's 325 Ci convertible. Like em both.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

It was a close friend and the car was genuine M, however I had forgotten that there was an intermediate M535i.

I debadged my 740i because I had a cherished number with 735 in it.

Nah mine have all been bog standard, but the first two 735i's were manual and consequently more fun to drive (and I was a lot younger). These days you can only really get a manual box in M5 or 6 series and for me (6'8") these are a little cramped and / or impractical.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I strongly discourage the use of automatic transmissions. But I will say that modern automatics are a whole lot better than they were in 1968, both in terms of performance and reliability.

Yes, and when modified they become more different still.

I think the original poster should go out and drive a BMW 2002. It sure won't keep up with the Charger on the straightaway.... but it will make you smile when you drive it. And remember it's more or less a design contemporary with the Charger, but very different in their design philosophy.

As long as it makes you smile. I have to say when I have driven older 'Vettes, they felt really fast in one direction, and that doesn't seem pleasant or practical to me. But that's me.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Older Vettes were the car to have when they were new. Don't confuse the Corvette with the muscle cars of the era. Yes the muscle cars didn't do the twisties well, but the Corvette was not really a muscle car. It was a sports car built for 25 cents a gallon gas.

It did the twisties pretty good too. Dick Gulstrand. Grand Sports, etc. A pretty big racing history. Also, price a 45 year old Corvette with a 45 year old BMW and you will see which was the more popular car.

Also watch the Barrett Jackson car auctions. But those are stupid rich guys that have more money than brains.

Vito

Reply to
Uncle_vito

It still is!

A car should be fun to drive, otherwise what's the point? I'm increasingly upset at BMW because too many of the newer cars just aren't fun to drive.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey