New X3

Hi,

Just got a new X3 2.0d SE.

Got some problems with it and not sure the cause of it cos cant get it into BMW till 2 weeks time.

  1. Button on remote will not open boot/trunk unless car is unlocked
  2. Mirror does not tilt down in reverse at all
  3. It was raining hard yesterday but wipers never started automatically?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
cvrom

Matt,

Don't know about the X3 but on the E90 330i there is a little push button on the wiper control arm which needs to be pushed to engage autowipe and resets every time you switch off, so you need to push it again to re-enable it.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

Not sure if it's the same on the newer cars such as yours, but on the older BMWs I have owned the passenger side mirror only tilts down in reverse if the power mirror adjustment switch is in the position to adjust the driver's side. When in the passenger side adjust position no tilting. Kind of handy to have that control actually.

Reply to
Fred W

And on the X5, the autowipe is a position on the stalk. It also resets on switch-off and needs to be moved to off than back to auto to start functioning again.

Mike P

Reply to
JD

All of the information kindly given in reply to the OP so far is clearly printed in the drivers manual. Surely the OP has read and understood this and has some serious problem, which is why he has booked it in to the dealer?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The weird thing is, the manual refers to things that dont even exist on the vehicle, for example, it clearly shows you a switch to turn off the passenger airbag...do I have one...NO!!

There is no push button on the wipers stalk, just selections for down for one wipe, up for intermittent, slow and fast.

Whether the mirror swithch in on the drivers or the passenger side, no mirror moves!!

Reply to
cvrom

Not everything in the manual is sold in the US. The manual itself describes options that are present on either the US or Canadian models. As an example, my E46 manual tells a lot about the 320 which isn't sold in the US.

Doesn't the intermittent setting turn on the rain sensing?

Only the passenger side moves if the transmission is in reverse and if the switch is set to the passenger side. The driver side mirror never moves.

What did your dealer say about your issues? Jim

Reply to
Jim

One of my 735's described how the auxiliary paraffin heater worked, including the timer programmed switch on etc. I don't think any were sold in the UK with this feature, even as an option...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

This can be a Good Thing. Imagine opening the rear lid while the car is locked. Now pull something out and accidentally drop your keys into the car while closing the lid.......

Mike P

Reply to
JD

Another good reason for this feature is to prevent accidental unlocking while the keys are in your pocket. I was getting worried about frequently finding my E46 330i boot open until I realised what the cause was. The boot unlock button is very exposed on this key and far too easy to activate. Got the dealer to enable the 2-stage unlocking - problem solved! Chris.

Reply to
Chris

All features available on the car range will be shown in the book but, depending on model and availability in your area, not all of the features will be fitted to all cars.

The dipping mirrors are sometimes, but not always, packaged with electric seats fitted with a memory feature for at least the drivers side. Do you have these? Were dipping mirrors a feature that was specifically sold to you as part of that vehicles specification?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks for all the info, got the rain sensors sorted, thinking about it, it is better that the boot release does not open when the remote is used, I can see accidental openings happening. The mirror still wont tilt down.

Any advice on this, the car has done 100miles from new, I have only had it 4 days and there is a horrendous smell of burning plastic coming from the exhaust, it is very very strong. The car is a diesel. Any suggestions?

Reply to
cvrom

Take it back to the dealer. Get them to show you how to get the mirror to work. Get them to check the exhaust fumes. It is after all still under warranty. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I hate to admit, but I did that on my old Jetta VR6, it took the tow truck guy quite a long time to unlock the car too! I realized just as I could have stuck my hand in to stop it.... but I decided to avoid the broken fingers and call someone to unlock it!

I think BMW has made some smart tricks, we don't all understand the reasons why all the time, but here is a list of features some overlook... (this is for an e46, but much is applicable to other models)

Sharkman BMW

I'll have to get that done. I carry both my Z4 key and 325 key on my key ring, but for some reason the 325 is the one I always find with the trunk unlocked. It's due for its Inspection I in another 1000 miles or so... epbrown

-- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to
E Brown

- You can activate/deactivate various locking functions in the Key/Car memory settings.

- You can activate/deactivate this in the Key/Car memory settings.

- Rain sensor sensitivity is adjustable in the Key/Car memory settings.

(Though in your case there might have been an actual fault in the unit.)

My suggestion - get your dealer to print out your X3s Key/Car memory settings. You can then choose which items you wanted to have changed.

Reply to
Class-1