97 camry won't unlock

The passenger door won't unlock all the doors from outside. It will lock them all. How can I fix it? Thanks.

Reply to
badgolferman

Only the drivers door unlocks all doors - its desinged that way -- its not broken. Add remote power door locks.

Reply to
Wolfgang

When you hit unlock, do it twice, the firs ttime will unlock just the drivers, once more will unlock all the others.

--

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.--Ronald Reagan

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.--Ronald Reagan

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?MDT_Tech=AE?=

I am talking about the passenger door. On my 94 the driver's door you turn the lock once to open that door and twice to open all. The passenger one you turn once to unlock all doors. The 97 driver door works the same way, but the passenger door unlocks only it's own door. However it does lock all the doors.

Reply to
badgolferman

On my 97, you have to turn the key TWICE to get ALL the doors to unlock. You sure you're doin' it right?

mb

--------------

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
MB

You are talking about the passenger door, right? This morning I checked again and now the lock works sometimes. It always works to lock the car, but sometimes to unlock the car. I can't even tell if it is a ONE or TWO time thing anymore. Does anyone know if there are two separate wires going through the door jamb bundle? Maybe one of them is frayed.

Reply to
badgolferman

While it's true that the driver door key will Unlock all doors with a Double twist, the outside door lock on the passenger side should LOCK AND UNLOCK ALL doors with ONE twist of the key, at least that's the way it is on the US built "LE". I assume that all the '97 Camry lines with power door locks(Japan, CE,Etc.) are the same as far as this function since the diagram is not specific to one model line. If you want to troubleshoot the problem, start by removing the right side(passenger)lower kick panel to get at the connectors. There are 2 connectors involved with the UNLOCK function, one of them is what the book calls Im1, Should be white in color, and from the way it looks, its the largest(?) connector, The wire colors that you want are: BLUE= Unlock, on pin 3, and BLUE/WHITE =Lock, on pin 4. try re-seating the connector, to possibly clear a bad connection. Grounding the BLUE wire should UNlock all doors, If it does, than you got a bad switch in the door, or a bad connection/broken wire between the switch and the connector, if it does not, there is one more place to check, the diagram shows that the blue wire also goes thru a junction connector J37 before it goes to the integration relay, that connector should be in the same general vicinity, try re-seating it, and/or grounding it, if that don't work, post back. Hope this helps JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

It's a PIA , but you are going to have to look up the colour codes to find which wire is on the common-line to all the other doors. Then, you use a pin to pierce the insulation to test for the active battery-voltage. I'd imagine there is two major wires. One is 'unlock', the other 'lock'

It maybe the key-operated switch itself on your driver's door.

FWIW, my '96 only requires one turn to operate, either un-lock or locking.

Armed with the colour codes, I'd take the door trim off. Then while the key is turned start tracking the switch line out from the door-switch.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I just bought a superb 97 Camry XLE three weeks ago and everything works perfectly except occasionally like you 'badgolfer' the lock on the passenger side only operates the passenger front door. This seems to relate to how I operate it ie if I am gentle it works every time. Incidentally, my driver's side works one turn for drivers door only and twice for all doors. You can see where the panel behind the doorhandle has been opened with a screwdriver in the past. As this car is in MINT condition and has been serviced exclusively by the Dealership it would strike me this is a problem with this model/year.

Reply to
woodee

Don't think it's a problem specific to "Model/Year", sounds like you got a flaky switch or a loose wiring connection in the passenger door key. JerryR

Reply to
JerryR

This may be true, but it is quite a coincidence to have the same problem. In any case, I haven't seen a TSB on it so I will not blame Toyota.

Reply to
badgolferman