New motor in E36

Hi,

I am trying to start freshly swapped motor in E36. The motor is M43 with its Motronic 1.7 ECU. Righ now it doesn't start.

  1. Fule pump OK, 50Psi fule pressure when starting or cranking.
  2. Air flow sensor (vane) has right voltages, produces variable voltage on the input pin depending on position of vane.
  3. Crank sensor swapped, scope shows a train of puleses with one longer pulse, I assume per ful rotation.
  4. swapped cam sensor, correct resistance. I think I can see one pulse per crank revolution, is it correct?
  5. Spark is OK.
  6. engine coolant sensors (2) correct resistance, produce apparently correct voltage on the right pin.

If I squirt some quick start into manifold , the motor starts for few seconds, this apparently proves that ignition electrics are OK.

I do not know how to check injectors. After cranking for 1-2 min, spart plugs show no sign of any fuel. I have correct voltage on each injector. When trying to crank, I do not belive I have any injector pulse, scope shows nothing.

Now the engine does not have Auto transmission module connected yet. Also the pin going to immobilizer is not connected (I have no immobilizer on this car. Bentley manual suggest cold start condition problem. I have no second ECU to try. I have digital meter, electronic osciloscope, and fule pressure test kit. No scan tool, I have one coming (Peake reserch one).

Any suggestions on next step?

I have removed old M40 engine and replaced with M43 (completed with wiring harness, and its own ECU. I was assured that the motor and ECU were fine by the workshop I got it from, after replacing most sensors, I am not sure of condition of ECU.

Reply to
jsawick

You certainly seem to have isolated the problem to the fact that the injectors are not being pulsed. Now it gets hard, as I would assume you need the wiring diagram for the ECU and associated electronics. You say that the immobilizer is not connected because you don't have one. However, is the ECU expecting an "OK" signal from one? Don't know how to tell you to proceed from here, but that would be my guess. Maybe talk to the workshop that gave you the ECU and see if it is used in cars with an immobilizer - if so, it probably needs an immobilizer "OK" signal, and then that line has to either be grounded, or pulled high - maybe they can tell you which. Any chance of measuring the level on that line for a working car with the same ECU?

Further thoughts are over my pay grade, so maybe someone with more detailed knowledge can answer?

Good Luck

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

Just received the scan tool. After resetting the ECU, the only code that comes up is: EWS/ECM input error. The diagram shows this EWS to me immobilizer.

Now if I have no immobilizer in my car (newer motor), can I provide some signal to fool the ECU?

Anyone knows what ECU expects on immonilizer input?

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
jsawick

i think you have to align the EWS system to the ECU/DME.. dealer can do it -- cost you 100 bucks but you have to tow the car there... i had it done on a 540 ...although i had no fuel going to the rail when i cranked the car over