Oil Burner

I have replaced my trusty E36 328 with an E39 530. I've done about 9k miles since purchase and have had to put three litres of oil in it (regular intervals). Trusty E36 didn't need a drop. Does this sound excessive and something to worry about? There's no drips when parked up so I suppose it's just burning it as I'm chugging along, but as I'm comparing with old car and my E39 is several years newer than my E36 and I'm doing exactly the same type of driving, I'm getting concerned.

Also, as it's pretty much run in at 6 yrs old with 60k on the clock, is it still really worth using fully synthetic (I'll just stick to BM service lights for oil changes). Can't believe how much more it costs over 'regular' oil like castrol gtx. Maybe semi-synthetic - or is this just false economy when engine dies on me?

Toby T.

Reply to
Toby T

I went from a 94 325iS to a 2001 530 sport and have had the same issue but at a smaller scale. I do about a quart every 5K. I am running (as always) Mobil 1 but the 530 calls for 0/40. I contributed some of the oil loss to the weight of the oil - the 325 is still pounded on actively with over 160K on the ticker and still does not use enough between change intervals to mess with it. I do change per the lights.

The 325 is not babied a bit - Dinan chip, exhaust work, cold air intake, etc. The 530 sends it's life on cruise between 65 and 80.

Reply to
ReddDawg

My E46 330ci uses 1 litre per 1000 miles, this is normal according to BMW. My E36 325i used none between changes (OK, not none, but I didnt need to top it up). I find the 330 uses less on motorway journeys which makes me think it is the startup and cold running that is the main cause.

Makes you think about the service interval of 15000 miles as the engine has received 15 litres of new oil, it is a continuous renewal process!!!!

I bought 4 x 5 litre Motul LL01 BMW specific oil from Opie Oils -

- there is a discount scheme through
which makes the oil very very cheap. Free delivery too!

I chose the Motul -

as it is a 5/30, so thicker at lower temperatures to reduce theuseage at start-up.

Opie will reccommend Fuchs, I chose not to follow the advice as it is a

0/30 and is 4 litres for the same price as 5 of the Motul, both of which meet BMW's standards.

I havent actually started using it yet, still using up some Castrol RS

0/40 that I had hanging around.

PP

Reply to
Pashlipops

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pashlipops" Newsgroups: alt.autos.bmw Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:07 PM Subject: Re: Oil Burner

Nice to know mine isn't excessive then.

How bizarre - would have thought that this kind of oil usage must be right at the edge of the engine design's tolerance. I would be panicking if mine was using so much. And the cost! If 4l of proper oil is best part of £40, then you're getting through £150 just refilling it in between services. Crazy.

Thanks for links - cheaper than Halfords!

As for which oil to use - I get the impression from other posts that using lower quality than fully synthetic 0-30 might be ok if oil changes are very

5k or so, but must be the 'proper' stuff if only changing with the lights. I guess this is true for most of the life of the car, so I'm sticking with the expensive stuff for now.

Thanks for your posts

Toby T.

Reply to
Toby T

The Motul BMW approved stuff worked out at about 5 pounds per litre from Opie (on a purchase of 20 litres with discount and delivery).

Fuchs, which I understand is used in the BMW factory, works out at about 7 pounds per litre (on a purchase of 16 litres with discount and delivery - or 5 if you buy 25 litres).

Reply to
Pashlipops

Well that makes it a lot cheaper. Can't readily see how you get a discount for larger purchase - just phone up rather than order via website?

Reply to
Toby T

Toby T, send me an email.

Reply to