Burning silly amounts of oil

Hi,

My 1.25l 16V Zetec Fiesta (1998) is now burning about 2 litres of oil every

1000 miles. I'm using 5w30 semi-synthetic but it's getting rather expensive to put in this much all the time!

The manual says I could use 10w40 so I am considering using "High Mileage" Castrol GTX Magnatec 10w40. Does anyone think this is a silly idea? The car runs fine and passed its MOT emissions test easily a few weeks ago. I am sure oil is not leaking anywhere as I park the car in my garage which has a clean floor (it's new-build house) and the floor is still clean, as is the outside of the engine.

Do people think it is the oil control rings on the pistons or could something else be making me lose this much oil?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

If it's not dropping out the bottom, I'd flog it.

Reply to
Doki

In message , Tony Brett writes

Its likely to be the oil control rings. Its a known problem with the Zetec SE engine if its had a history of being thrashed from cold. Just out of interest, what is the mileage?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

About 80k but that's unverified.

Will this problem just get worse and worse? It appears to be doing so at the moment.

My conscience won't just let me sell it as OK if I know the rings are buggered. Is it not worth getting them fixed? I've spent fair amounts of money on this car in the 13 months I've had it and it's a car I'm very happy with so I'd really not part with it unless I really have to.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Then trade it in?

Well that depends of course...

The decision you face is spending more money on it and hoping that nothing else will go wrong...

...or replacing it with something that is unknown and may have all sorts of expensive problems just a few months down the line.

Reply to
DervMan

It is likely to be smashed oil rings, but go right through the PCV system looking for a blockage first.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I'd be using cheap 20w50 or similar if I were you. If it is the rings the parts aren't expensive but it's a top and bottom off kind of job. I did a cavlaier many years ago that was doing a litre every 250 miles. I put new rings in in a weekend and everything was fine after that.

Reply to
adder1969

Sadly you can't refit the crank bearing caps without special tools on this engine.

Won't 20w50 gum up the valves and associated bits?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

In message , Tony Brett writes

I always thought it was the main bearing caps that were the problem rather than the big end caps.

Not really. It was the early Zetecs with hydraulic lifters that were sensitive to the oil grade. Perhaps it would be easier to source an engine from the scrappy or ebay and drop that in.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes, by crank bearing I of course meant main bearing but the word had escaped me. It was early.

Is June 1998 not early for a Zetec then?

Tony

Reply to
Oxford News

In message , Oxford News writes

No, they were introduced into the Escort in 1992 then the Mondeo the following year. You have a Zetec SE engine which was designed by Yamaha and which is completely different to the original Zetec engine.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Crank bearing is the main (crank) bearing so I wouldn't worry about it.

Just what special tool does it need and why?

Reply to
adder1969

In message , adder1969 writes

The point I was making was that he doesn't need to undo the mains to change the rings.

Its got a one piece ladder frame main bearing cap which can't be disturbed. I'm guessing that all the securing bolts need to be torqued down simultaneously.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

OK - call me stupid but how can I possibly get at the oil control rings without removing the crankshaft? Do the pistons clear either end of the cylinder liners? I can't see how.

The Haynes manual says it is impossible to adjust the main bearing caps without special tools and Ford alos don't give torque settings. And it's an alu block.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

But how will I know it doesn't have shafted oil control rings? Is there any way to test other than dismantling?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Remove the big end caps and take the piston out via the top?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The message from "Tony Brett" contains these words:

Undo the big ends and pull the pistons out through the top.

Reply to
Guy King