Oil splash

A friend of mine went to see a 1999 735i. While the engine was running he removed the oil filler cap and the oil splashed out much further than he thought it should. As much as 5 or 6 feet (that's nearly 2 meters in new money) My question is, "should it do this? I did the same thing on my 1998 728i and no oil splashed out

Reply to
Helen Smith

Is that the equivalent of "kicking the tires"? What was he looking for? I really doubt it's an indication of any problem.

Reply to
JimV

Why would anyone do that? He should probably also grab a good ground on the frame, and put his tongue on the coil. Have a tape measure ready to see if he goes farther than the oil did.

Reply to
Dean Dark

My god, your friend is stupid. If the car were mine, I would've made him pay for the cleanup.

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe