OT: The long slow death or Rover

The poll tax for one. Then when it was abolished through public outcry, adding VAT to household fuel - ie gas. Both of which hit the poor far more than the rich. And of course the 'rich' love to try and control the income of the poor to keep them poor. 'Twas ever thus...

Why? If you have an even rate of income tax, those who have little or no money left over after paying for basics pay proportionally more.

She certainly brought about some much needed reforms. But let's leave it at that. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think what Dori is referring to is the stupid, communistic rates of the 70%-98% top rate on personal income, which - if unchecked - would have left Britain in a form it deserved to take on. That being a filthy, grey, derelict, wasteland of valuelessness and mediocrity whose only riposte to entrepreneurialism and attempts at wealth creation was to crush it until it was dead.

Oh, wait a second...

Quite frankly, may the '70s Labour hell of such crippling tax rates rest in perpetual agony, along with every other soviet experiment, at the bottom of the sea, never to be regurgitated. I would trade this kind of vile, state-sponsored theft for a thousand poll taxes, but then I'm obviously not much in tune with my compatriots :)

Reply to
Andrew Thomas

There are plenty of countries where you pay near enough no - or very little tax. But then no one wants to live there. They all want to spend their money in countries with a rich cultural heritage. Where the arts, etc, are supported. Where old buildings aren't simply demolished to be replaced by more efficient ones which suit big business. Or simply demolished to provide extra wide roads and car parks for those rich in a hurry. A soulless hell where the poor are banished to some slum out of sight. You might want this - I don't. And I'm happy to pay my taxes to keep my town - London - as *I* want it. Regardless if it means paying 'more'. And I love the mixed culture of living in an inner city mix - warts and all.

There's never been any kind of 'Soviet' or communist experiment in the UK. But those who don't want to pay their fair share of maintaining our country - but want it passed on to those who can least afford it must be stopped.

Howard is a second generation immigrant with a Jewish background. Now playing the immigrant card to those bigots against *any* immigration to the UK. Go figure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)