Save MG Rover

FOR ALL MG/ROVER ENTHUSIASTS WORLDWIDE - SAVE MG ROVER WITH PLEDGE INVESTMENT

MG Rover, Britain's last volume car/automobile manufacturer was forced into Administration on 8 April 2005. As a philanthropic organisation dedicated to the survival of the MG and Rover marquees, Save MGR would like to take this opportunity to invite "pledge investors" to pledge their potential investment in respect of the possible acquisition of MG Rover or constituent parts (ie. MG/Rover/both marquees).

NO CASH IS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME

The goal of Save MGR is to establish a solid level of interest - which would allow the preparation of a formal structure, stakes in which would be available for purchase by pledge investors. By pledging your investment you are not only helping to secure the future of two iconic marquees, but also writing motoring, commercial and Internet history.

Many thanks for your time - keep MG Rover rolling!

Save MGR

Reply to
Save MG Rover

Why save this factory and not any other that is 'going under'?

Particularly as it has just been offered a government loan of six and a half million pounds - a loan that wouldn't even be considered for any other firm going to the wall - so why Rover?

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the company was bought for peanuts by the managers and the profitable parts sold off - so why should I, or any others for that matter, give our hard earned cash to bail it out?

The rest of my thoughts are best not printed here as I can remember the 'union power' of the 60's and 70's that brought the car industry to its knees with a 'sod' the rest of 'em attitude.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Reply to
R A Wright

I'm in two minds over this, in the first I feel sorry for the workforce at Rover but, and it's a big but, I'm aware that if a companies only aspiration is to sell the family silver to a third party and then wonder why that third party decide that they don't want to take on the rest of the baggage, then the management at Rover are thicker than they look.

The Chinese got what they wanted, now they will pick over the fire sale for the odd titbits left in the bag that takes their fancy.

There is nothing left at Rover to save, it was all sold off long ago.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

There is out reason that outshines all others when considering saving Rover

MGR is the last truely British car manufacture, and therefor ever briton should want this company to theive and prosper.

Most of the UKcar industry has been sold to forigners, allong with most things british.

Even Shanghia automotive industry should not be allowed to take Rover from us.

The people of the UK should be proud of what the UK has achieved in the past, the worlds greatest engineers come from the UK. No one should want to see british industy be sold abroad for any reason

IT IS THE DUTY OF EVERY BRITON TO SAVE LOBGBRIDGE FROM THE RECIEVERS AND FROM THE CHINESE.

Its about time the people of this country started to make Britain great again, insead of selling it out.

Reply to
Vertuas

Just to add to my comments :

It MGR goes down the tubes, the people at PHOENIX VENTURE HOLDING should have their company go down with it. They should suffer person financial loss for what they have done to MGR.

Being a UK company, PVHs vested interest should have been to get MGR back at the top where it should be. Are they trying to tell us they they sold cars at a loss???? I seriously doubt it. If sales are slow them production should have been reduced too. They should have forcast sales figures for the years ahead and adjusted production to compensate.

It seems that PVH as owners of MGR are the main party responsible for the demise of MGR.

They should be locked up bahind (british engineered) bars and the key trown away. They have not just wrecked MGR but they have lost us a national treasure and every citizen of the UK should be beating a line to PVHs door to ask then what in hells name they have been doing.

Reply to
Vertuas

No - the last "British" car manufacturer hasn't been reached yet - LTI are British, Caterham are British. Bristol are British. Morgan are British.

Rover hasn't been British since BAE sold them to BMW. The marque still belongs to BMW for goodness sake.

I'm not arguing that it's not worthwhile trying to ensure that Longbridge continues production, but honestly, what difference does it make who pays the wages as long as they are paid?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

The last british car manufacturer hasn't, i can name a dozen more (TVR, Parallel Designs, Robin Hood Engineering, GTM, Marcos, Gardener Douglas, Tornado, Westfield, DAX, Birkin, Quantum, Pilgrim, yadd yadda yadda) but none are mainstream mass manufactures, none have the world wide famous brand of MGR, they don't have perception of british through and through..

MGR has been owned either partial or in entirity by various organisations down the year, and its been bailled out more than once. Still here though.

MGR is the Great British marque, it should be made 100% British again and stay that way, unfortunetly its unlikely that that will ever be the case. I guess i am like many people who are fed up of seeing everything in this country being moved out somewhere else, sold off to europe, or just closed down altogether.

Reply to
Vertuas

Reply to
steven.g

Reply to
R A Wright

Your are correct "to theive" (thieve) - they have robbed us blind in the past with high prices caused by the workers 'greed' - those very same workers didn't bat an eyelid when they down-tools at the drop of a hat in the 60's and 70's and thousands of ancillary were laid of without pay.

That's life and the result of union (aka workforce) actions over the years forcing up prices and dropping quality.

Why not? Rover is dead through greed - if you want to keep your job, then jump into bed with the Chinese!

Come into the real world - most of the British industry has gone or about to go abroad - we cannot compete with the costs there.

What a load of old cobblers! Where was the voice of the great British car worker when the coal mines were dismantled or when the Steelworks were sold abroad or when the call centres were transferred to India or when workers in other industries are losing their jobs?

Remarkably silent... You could hear a pin drop from their lack of voice.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I don't think you can blame Phoenix for what has happened here. Rather the opposite.

When they purchased what was left of Rover from BMW in 2000 for £10, the company was losing £800m a year. They transformed that DRAMATICALLY, and by

2003 it was only losing £77m in spite of massively reduced car sales. In 1999 Rover group sold over 200,000 cars, a figure which in more recent years they could only dream of. Even today it is not losing as much as it was back then and any industry analyst will admit that it has kept going for longer than ever expected, contributing over £500m to the treasury in tax payments, keeping over 6000 direct workers employed and countless others in component supply and related industry. Not to mention 264 MG Rover dealerships, employing between them several thousand more.

The Pheonix restructuring of Rover, separating out the parts (to Cat Logistics) and engine/gearbox (Powertrain) businesses amongst other things, may be viewed as a cunning move by the more cynical, but in fact it allowed the company to continue for as long as it has, whereas in its previous state it couldn't have lasted even 6 months.

Finally, look at the number of new models produced. OK so the CityRover was not a resounding success, selling only 6,000 cars in the UK, and nor the MG SV either, but there have actually been more new models than under BMW ownership! I can only think of the 75 - remember all other models such as the 400 & 600 were already designed and comissioned whilst under BAe ownership and in partnership with Honda, and the new Mini doesn't count because BMW retained that.

In my opinion, MG Rover Group Ltd has been left in this state because of many reasons. The biggest culprit though is the car buying public. Not just the public in fact, but the government and public sector services (eg Police) for NOT buying perfectly good cars, preferring instead to spend MORE money on foreign imports with a fashionable badge. Those who've actually driven a modern Rover, such as the 75, will know what an excellent quality package they are. Even the likes of the 45, despite their ancient origins, offer excellent specification for the money. The build quality is in my experience better than plenty of far more popular/expensive makes, and even reliability, contrary to popular belief, is above average.

It's tedious hearing about how many times this company has been bailed out in the past. Actually it's the grand total of ZERO times, because the company that is there now is NOT British Leyland. Just because the government ploughed £2.7bn into BL in 1975 doesn't have anything to do with the MG Rover Group Ltd of 2005. In my opinion, it's something worth saving. The wider impact of its demise will have a serious impact on the economy. The government know this and that's why, amongst other reasons, they are providing them with a loan and doing their best to help secure some sort of future for car manufacturing at Longbridge.

Reply to
Andrew

At what cost and who should pay for their wages which are too high?

Reply to
London

It makes a diff to the tax payer (me) if we have to pay millions each week instead of them working and paying their own way. They are upset because they will now have to work for their wages. No one will keep 6500 workers at longbridge. If there is someone who wants to build MG - they will do it with far less staff and none of them longbridge workers.

Reply to
London

We are - but not proud of a plant that makes a loss of £800k a day. Why should i pay an average wage of £1000 per week to keep them at home and not working.Loan for one week £6500,000 /6500 workers.

Yes - now do you understand they made a loss year after year. Can i put it a bit more simple for you - they are paid too much for the job they do.Now they are paid for doing nothing. Where as before they got paid because some people thought they did something.

Reply to
London

I don't give a monkeys for the Rover workforce they are has you have intimated here reaping the rewards of their actions in the 60's and

70's and before but I shall be sorry to see the Rover name go . But better Rover be put to sleep than it fall into the hands of the bloody Chinese , I have a 1960 214 which has just passed its MOT today without any faults for the tenth year in succession how many poxy Fords and Vauxhalls can do that I wonder .
Reply to
dexter

The same people who will pay their mortgages,pay for the childrens free school meals and free everything else when they go to visit the job center.

Reply to
dexter

One moneyman writing in another place estimated that MG-Rover closing would cost the Exchequer around £750M per year in lost Tax, Nat. Insurance, VAT, Job-Seeker's Allowances, etc, and for two to three years of £500M in aid would have survived - bear in mind that the Rover losses were cut from over £1M per DAY when Phoenix took over to less than £75M per year at the end.

I know which deal I'd rather see in action.

Reply to
BTConnect

So ! is it not right that the children and grandchildren of the strike happy bastards of the 60's and 70's should now suffer. I think it is a great idea perhaps the people who have jobs today will think twice before going on strike least the same happen to their children and grandchildren in years to come .

Reply to
dexter

Why should it cost that? People will still buy a car so knock off the vat - they are all highly skilled so why can they not find a job in the period of 12 weeks they will be paid so knock off tax NI job seekers - Whats left?

If they only lost 75M in the last year there will be a surplus after the bits are sold. Thats good the tax payer will get some back but dont hold your breath the final shortfall will be nearer a billion.

Time for them to find a real job and if they have any skill they will be working by the weekend.

Reply to
London