Question - keys & rust

Just out of interest: What metal do they make the OEM keys from (standard yellow/gold hue)?

And, are they are coated after machining - does this account for the yellow/gold tint?

Reason I ask is I'd like to know the possibility is of them to start rusting after many years of use.

Reply to
Class-1

Keys don't rust.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Well, my former 316i's key that lay "lost" in the gutter for two years (including winters, with salt on road) disagrees :) But I do admit the conditions were exceptional.

Reply to
Jan Kalin

Most keys are made of Brass - they don't rust.

Some OEM keys are steel, and will rust if left out in the weather. Would be very unusual for a key to rust under normal usage though. But I did have a rusty Peugeot key that had been left in a magnetic key holder under the bumper for 20 years. :-)

Kevin Rhodes Westbrook, Maine

91 318is
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

Was it an original key or a duplicate? I have never seen a key blank made with ferrous materials.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

If I can find it I'll check and report back.

Reply to
Jan Kalin