Aluminum Key Blanks

Hi Guys, Does anyone out there have a set of Studebaker factory aluminum key blanks for 1950-59 cars with Yale lock they are willing to part with? These would be the hex headed ignition key and the round headed trunk key. They have the Studebaker name on one side and Yale on the other. I'd like to get a set and cut them for my 56J!

Thanks,

-George-

-56 Golden Hawk

-63 GT Hawk

-63 Champ

Reply to
reichsrundfunk

EchoDelta

use the aluminum FOR SHOW.. but brass for every day.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

dont think they are alumininum tho the third from left wasnt made in it, AFAIK.. its too small

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Well, this question has been festering for 46 years, so I'll ask: aluminum seems to the dumbest material to make keys ..... were they so much cheaper to the maker, or was there some other reason to use them?

I can well remember the day I went with Mom to trade her '55 Prez hardtop in on a new '62 Hawk........the GT was just so beautiful (so was the '55, but we were tired of having the rust repaired). HaHa.....gorgeous as the GT was, something seemed sort of chintzy: the carpet, the vinyl seats were stiff and the rear trunk overlay was a cheap imitation of the real "grill" on the back of Lincolns. And the '55 had "real" keys instead of those cheap aluminum jobs that we hated on Dad's Chryslers.

We'd often leave the car unlocked rather than risk having to unlock it with the key......'specially in winter when the locks were even stiffer. They'd get bent and eventually break. For the life of me, I don't know why we didn't just have good copies made at a key shop.

I thought for a while that maybe the aluminum keys were easier on the ignition......but over the years have had plenty of worn-out ignitions to replace, so that wasn't it. Almost as mystifying as second-gear start!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

In the locksmith area we got 'reverse software'.. let me measure the key and get the depths.. say they were 13244.. plug that into our software and we can reverse lookup the code number.. tis not a problem.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

cheaper, the 'new fad' as well, and stayed shiny instead of the brass that got 'dirty'..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me