Re: Brake Pad Replacement

From this and other posts I am convinced I need to replace the brake pad sensors on my 95 BMW 318i, but all I can see is the sensor and a wire that goes up under the car and disappears. How do I replace them? My Haynes manual doesn't cover this at all.

Reply to
rogerg

Trace the wire to a little box - only a few inches away and attached to the suspension. Open that and inside is the connector.

The brake pad has to be removed to replace the sensor.

Looking at a new sensor should make things clear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Brake Sensors should be replaced witht he brakes IF the Worn Brake warning is being displayed when the brake work is done, otherwise the sensors can be transplanted from the old brakes to the new ones.

There is one sensor for the front axle and one for the rear.

The mysterious wire that disappears under the car is the Speed Sensor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you're lucky. The plastic tends to deteriorate after being cooked by the pad heat and is likely to break up on removal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, I found the connectors and its not as hard to get to as I thought it would be. For now I shorted the 2 wires so at least the sensor light on the dash goes out. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
rogerg

Yes, "if you're lucky." But it is possible that the sensor can be transplanted, I transplanted mine twice on the same car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Changing the rear brake sensor is easy. I recently put on new rear brake pads and rotors on my 90 E34 535i, 5 spd, 104K miles, and forgot to get a new brake sensor. Since the brake sensor warning stayed on, the next day, I dropped by a local auto parts shop and purchased the sensor for $6. I think jacked up the car, removed the rear wheel and popped out the old sensor and plugged in the new. Done. Fast, easy and cheap. What's not to like!

Reply to
bfd