Re: buffered coolant temp guage

Truth is that BMW had numerous customer "concerns" because the temp

> gauge would reflect the load on the car and ambient conditions. IOW it > behaved as a temp gauge should. So they put in the buffered gauge as a > peace of mind solution for the great mass of the ignorant. Of course > you'll now get little warning of a cooling problem with a gauge > climbing inexorably toward the doom level. Instead everything appears > A OK and then a rapid rise to the peg. You've got about 10 seconds to > kill the engine and park it.

Sudden overheating problems are usually caused by things like a fan belt breaking or loss of coolant. And you have warning lights for both of these. My 'other' car has a normal temperature gauge which when hot reads between

85 and 100C. So that's its normal range. Can't see a problem if a computer monitors this and keeps the gauge central while within this range.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)