Re: Electronic Throttle

"OldHarleyRider" wrote:

> >My 2006. Mustang GT went full throttle all by itself when it was >only two months old. I had backed out of a driveway and when >I put the car into drive to go forward the throttle went wide >open all by itself (my foot was on the brake, not the accelerator). >I had to make a left turn 100' ahead then a right turn 300' further. > >I was too busy trying to stop the car, and steer the car to make >any other moves. It was a wild 6-8 second ride. I did in the >process put my other foot on the brake also, to no avail. >Total damage was $20,000.00 across 2 lawns, hit a Cadillac and >ran into a garage (moved the garage 6 inches off its foundation). > >I don't know why these malfunctions (crashes) of the drive by wire >system are a surprise. The engine controls are computer controlled. >How many times in the past has your computer crashed, or locked >up, or malfunctioned. I will never buy another vehicle unless it >has a cable or linkage controlling the throttle body. >________________________________________________________________________ > >It can happen with cable controlled throttles too. I backed out >out of a driveway in my 1969 Oldsmobile, straightened out and >stepped on the gas, and the car took off like a Rocket 88. I turned >off the ignition and the car rolled to a safe stop. > >The cause turned out to be a broken motor mount. When I hit >the gas, the engine twisted enough to pull the throttle cable >to its full open condition. > >When I read your story and the story of the guy whose runaway >car went 45 minutes without stopping, I think that carmakers >should add a new safety device; some kind of a switch or a key >easily within the driver's reach where he could stop the car quickly >before causing damage or injury by turning off the ignition. > >Rodan. >

Ditto, I've had the same thing (broken return spring) on a cable activated carb. Not had problems with drive-by-wire (but know a few that have had).

Regardless, the easy thing to do (usually thought of after it happens) is to turn off the key.

Reply to
PeterD

Rodan" wrote:

"PeterD" wrote:

Ditto, I've had the same thing (broken return spring) on a cable activated carb. Not had problems with drive-by-wire (but know a few that have had).

Regardless, the easy thing to do (usually thought of after it happens) is to turn off the key. ___________________________________________________________________________

Bingo.

You were the first to recognize that the necessary safety shut-off device is already in all cars - the ignition key.

No one else thought of it. Maybe that's why runaway cars don't get stopped until they hit something - it's a normal impulse to apply the brakes, and when that doesn't work, the driver's brain freezes in disbelief and he can't think of just turning off the key.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

Actually that is the second choice. What I said (putting it in neutral) is the first choice for any vehicle made in the last 10 or so years.

Here's why: (1) Turning the engine off removes steering assist (also brake boost will be seriously limited if the brakes are pumped at all). (2) There is little harm in taking it out of gear even with the throttle open because the engine computers limit the engine rpm's to harmless levels when the tranny is in neutral.

So - while shutting the ignition will work, as long as it is understood that your steering can be *very* stiff, depending on the vehicle, and brake performance will be limited also. I think most experts agree that the preferred method is to put the transmission in neutral (*then* turn the ignition off once the vehicle is safely stopped).

Reply to
Bill Putney

One thing is that with some cars, the key is durned hard to reach however... Certainly not a quick access device. I'm beginning to think that cars need a "Big Red Kill Switch" on the dash, that kills the engine completely if pressed. It should be stout enough to not allow accidential pushes, but big enough and easy enough to be seen and used in an emergency. It would take a few years for drivers to get 'used' to the fact it is there, but evetually drivers would realize it as a safety feature.

Reply to
PeterD

It would create problems due to the steering being very hard to turn with the engine off (and some loss of braking capability). If that were the only option, then - yeah - that might be the preferred method. But, again, there is a better way:

Best to simply throw the shifter in neutral. It's *already* there (no need to add more clutter, complecity, and expense), the engine is rev. limited in neutral so it won't self destruct. Then get the car safely stopped, *then* shut the engine off.

The public could be educated to automatically think about it for when the unthinkable happens, and/or educational decals could be mandated for every car for benefit of the unteachable and to satisfy the lawyers and the nanny state. We don't need more switches and wires.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Agreed. If it isn't there it can't fail.

Reply to
clare