Re: OT - Rover dead - no tears

Possibly, but makes no mention of a BMW connection.

It's also full of inaccuracies about the UK connection.

Just two examples. They said it was bought by British Leyland. It wasn't - it was bought by Rover when still an independant company. Rover later became part of Leyland.

They said it was fitted to the MG B which became the MG C. The MG C was an earlier vehicle fitted with if you want the Austin Healey 3 litre 6. An extremely heavy cast iron donk which spoiled the handling. There was, however, an MG B V8.

*The* bible on the subject of the UK version of the engine and the quirky way it was acquired is David Hardcastle's The Rover V8 Engine.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't forget that BMW still own the rights to the Rover brand, so what happens to the company is very relevant to BMW.

Reply to
zerouali

Yes. But not only BMW. Rover and its predecessors have been zombies for longer than I care to remember. Mostly at my expense. Ggrrrrrrrrr.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Anyone who wonders why Rover is broke might consider a new Rover 25 that I have taken delivery of on Monthly Hire - it is a nice looking car and drives well but in the 1st 500 miles has had the following problems - a) Gear stick knob came off in my hand b) Locked me out in the supermarket car park, I had to set off the alarm to get in c) Has developed a metallic whine when driving d) Boot only shuts if you slam it e) Sony Radio Cassette doesn't receive Radio 4 properly - crackling all the time (to be honest I suspect this is a dealer fitter option rather than the standard Rover radio/cassette so maybe not their fault).

I suspect I will send it back shortly.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

That is TERRIBLE. Change band or switch to World Service (648 khz) while you wait.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Surprisingly, BBC World Service can be difficult to receive in the UK - apart from on DAB.

But it isn't the same as R4, although there is some programme interchange.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
1) You are, of course, right (but in London area not too bad). It's not so surprising since it is not aimed at UK listerners. However, now on Radio 4 frequencies 01.00 - 05.30 (I think) when Radio 4 is off-air.

2) Also true, of course, but World Service (BBC World Service, that is, for those not aware) still offers a good mix of current affairs and some light entertainment and makes a good alternative to R4 and even R5.

Also a different perspective on news with a greater international content.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling