Re: Radio Removal E39

I spent 2 hrs trying the exact same thing today. All I managed to do was damage the cassette flap. The picture you show is the same as mine i.e the release screw mentioned in the TIS has gone (fell out when I tried to turn it recently). I even tried a couple of large screw drivers to prise it out. When the screw was there it easy to take out! Sorry to be useless but I needed to rant! Tried flat knives. Dynamite next.....Bad day.

Ian

Hi - I hope someone can help me remove the radio/headunit from my 5 series. > >I've found a load of messages in various places about removing the >radio/headunit/mid from an E39, but the descriptions all seem to be >different to my unit. People say to remove volume knob and then insert & >turn screwdriver in hole just to right of spindle to release just the lower >part of the unit (MID I think). Problem is that I have a hole above the >spindle and the radio/headunit is definately all in one piece (I've seen an >identical one on ebay which shows it's all one unit: >
I can insert a screwdriver into the hole and turn it, but pulling the whole>unit like mad still doesn't release it.> >I'm from the UK, so maybe it's the difference between UK/US headunits that's >my problem? > >I obviously don't want to break it, but am I just not pulling hard enough? > >Thanks in advance > >Toby >---- >2001 530 Touring >
Reply to
Sparky