CJ oil pan removal

I'm trying to replace the rear main seal -- the oil pan was also leaking in the front and rear and I could see part of the rubber gasker sticking out of the front of the pan. Anyway, I managed to get all the bolts out, but I can't get the pan to break loose from the engine. I've tried a rubber hammer and a screw driver, so what is the trick? Also, I managed to get the bolt out under the passenger side motor mount without removing the motor mount. Will the oil pan come off without removing the motor mount? Thanks guys.

Reply to
Danny Bains

Wonder bar!!! and rubber mallet. I have a 1" wide, 7" long version of that particular prybar, it works great in that spot. Might try an old putty knife and the mallet.

I never tried to get the pan off without removing the mount. Good Luck!

Reply to
Fennidh

Wow, I'm at the exact place you are and I convinced I'm going to have to remove the mount to get the oil pan off.

I took a screw driver from the front and pryed down and the oil pan released from the motor fine.

In the back, where it butts up against the tranny there are some tiny metal tabs that stick out from the tranny case that will support the oil pan and get in your way. I'm not sure the main purpose of those are unless it helps hold the pan up when you are trying to re-install it. I bent those in to try to slide it by but that didn't work. Gotta remove the mount I guess.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Be certain all the bolts are out. I'd also suggest you pull the right side mount (support the trans with a jackstand first.)

FWIW, rather than using the old multi-piece pan gasket, replace it with a new, one-piece type gasket. Much easier to install & won't leak like the old ones.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Are you SURE you got all of the bolts out?

If you are sure, then you can use a screwdriver to GENTLY pry the pan away from the block.

Reply to
CRWLR

Tell that to my 88 MJ! The first time I pulled the pan it was a close battle which I finally won - that cork gasket had been cemented with something that must have approximated JB Weld! I finally got it off using a sharpened putty knife that was really thin and flexible but that was the hardest gasket I ever tried to pull - took several times as long to clean it off as the rest of the entire job. Turned a 2 hour exercise into an all day battle.

But I do agree with the advice. Oh, the hours I've wasted try> Are you SURE you got all of the bolts out?

Reply to
Will Honea