Re: Radio Removal E39

Hi - I hope someone can help me remove the radio/headunit from my 5 > series.

> > I've found a load of messages in various places about removing the > radio/headunit/mid from an E39, but the descriptions all seem to be > different to my unit. People say to remove volume knob and then insert & > turn screwdriver in hole just to right of spindle to release just the > lower > part of the unit (MID I think). Problem is that I have a hole above the > spindle and the radio/headunit is definately all in one piece (I've seen > an > identical one on ebay which shows it's all one unit: >

I can insert a screwdriver into the hole and turn it, but pulling the > whole

unit like mad still doesn't release it. > > I'm from the UK, so maybe it's the difference between UK/US headunits > that's > my problem? > > I obviously don't want to break it, but am I just not pulling hard enough? > > Thanks in advance > > Toby > ---- > 2001 530 Touring >

Toby,

The TIS for this model includes the following instructions:

- Remove knob from volume control.

- Insert screwdriver (5.5) into slot (*) approx. 1 mm and turn 90 degrees.

- Hook special tool (**) into cassette socket and pull out radio.

(5.5) mm blade size? (*) this is the slot shown in your second photo, above the spindle. (**) this is a large hooked piece of (probably) plastic that gives you something to pull on. Perhaps a couple of smooth-bladed knives, either side of the unit, would be OK to lever it out.

Hope this helps. Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris - now I have confirmation that the only latch is released by the screwdriver in the hole trick, I'm sure I can jemmy it out somehow.

> I can insert a screwdriver into the hole and turn it, but pulling the> > whole

Reply to
Toby Thornton

Just stick your fingers inside the cassette hole to grab the deck and pull it out (after releasing the latch)

Reply to
Fred W