Remote Central Locking Problem (trunk)

Before I tell you my problem, let me start by saying that I have very little knowledge of the E39 Model BMW as I have only just recently bought my 2000, 523i E39 BMW, however you all seem to be people to talk to.

Now to my problem, I am having a problem with the remote locking on the previously mention BMW. I opened my trunk using the remote that was fine however moments later the trunk light went out. Initially I thought it was just a blown bulb so like you do I closed the trunk, only to realise that I no longer had the ability to open the trunk using the remote or from inside the car using the release button. The Trunk now only opens manually using the key and the OBC display the trunk as begin open.

I have check all the fuses in the trunk and they all seem to be ok however, that is where my knowledge of the cars electrics stops.

Please can you advise as to what you may think the problem is and how I may resolve it?

Reply to
BajanBMW

Sounds like a blown fuse - check them, they're above the glovebox (turn the two little white knobs) - and there should be a pull-out chart telling which fuses are which.

Why did the fuse blow? Don't know but some BMW's have experienced wiring harness failure at the flex point of the harness going to the trunk lid. Usually you have to remove the outer covering of the harness to find the worn insulation. This is on the left side of the trunk lid.

If this isn't it - it's possible the trunk lock actuator has gone bad. Early ones had a habit of coming apart and causing failure of the power lock/unlock feature. Part isn't too expensive and not difficult to replace. In this case - when you press the button under the dash for the trunk lid, you'll hear a noise from the back, but nothing will happen. Frequently the trunk will not latch when this happens.

HTH

Reply to
admin

Thanks for that tip about the additional fuses. I have checked them and they all seem to be fine.

I am not so sure that the problem is just the trunk lock actuator, as I have lost all power in the trunk of itself. I fair that I may have more of a problem than a faulty actuator, unless the faulty actuator is affecting the lights in the trunk as well.

Reply to
BajanBMW

OK..

You didn't mention if you're hearing any noise when you press the button under the dash.. if not, and the fuses are all OK - then I'd suspect the cable going to the trunk lid. I believe the lights are triggered by the latch mechanism, so if the cable is preventing the actuator from working, it might well mean the lights won't work either.

Reply to
admin

Thanks for all your help; I was wondering about the light and actuator relationship, if they are connected that would explain the light going out at the same time trunk stopped working.

I have just dropped if off that the auto electrician and on explaining the problem he seems to think it is a loos connection or wire.

I will keep you informed as to the progress.

Reply to
BajanBMW

Recently? How recently? Take it back to the dealer---------- his problem!

Sir Hugh of Bognor