Replacing Compressor Belt

Have a 1990 525i, the fan belt failed and the engine overheated, but managed to turn it off quickly. Thinking I should replace all belts at the same time, since this one failed. Can't get the alternator belt on without getting the compressor belt off first. Where is the tensioner for this compressor? How do you get this belt off? And then the new one back on? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
JoeBeem

depneds if you have an M20 or M50 engine. Both were sold in 1990.

Reply to
Fred W

I have the M20 engine. Got the other 2 belts off yesterday, can't get the ac compressor one off.

Reply to
JoeBeem

As can be seen in the OEM parts diagram:

The compressor is moved in and out to adjust the belt tension via a toothed hex nut (#8 called "idler" in the diagram). So you would loosen all 3 of the fastener nuts (3 - #4's) and then turn the adjuster #8 clockwise to loosen the belt.

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks Fred, I'll try that.

Joe