alternator belt replacement on 93 2.3L

Just bought this 93 LX coupe with 132k. Runs great, needs a little TLC, mainly cleaning and such, but the alternator squeels wthe belt (smoke visible) when you first start the engine. Sometimes 1 sec, sometimes 10-15 sec's. I want to replace the belt, but have never dealt with automatic belt tensioners. How do I get the belts off? Do I have to remove anything (ac compressor/alternator) or do I just have to muscle the belts off and on? I don't see any place to really pry against the tensioner to relieve the tension on the belt.

Thanks in advance...

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

"Gerry Pierce" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Use the tire iron as a lever against the spring-loaded pulley. Have somebody you trust hold it so the belt's loose, then you can slip the belt right off. Just remember how it's routed before you take it off.

Joe

Tire iron?? How about doing it the right way by inserting a 1/2" breaker bar into the tensioner arm, then rotate it clockwise (?) to relieve belt tension.

Smoke??

Sounds like one of the accessories is close to seizing. After removing the belt check to see that every pulley spins freely.

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:whL2e.858819$8l.75337@pd7tw1no:

Dude, the tire iron works fine. The guy will probably have one; doubt if he'll have a 1/2" breaker bar lying around.

I'd say there are big problems if the crank pulley spins freely...

Joe

Thanks for the assist... tire iron worked great. I had the breaker bar, but couldn't find a slot to insert it, so since the tire iron was tapered, I used it.

Changed the belt, squeel is gone, no more smoke from the alternator pully.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

Agreed, but I was refering to "accessory pulleys".

Reply to
Richard

"Gerry Pierce" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Yeah, the little lip on the end of the tire iron gives you just enough so the pulley won't slip off. Been there done that..

Joe

"Richard" wrote in news:Mp43e.865628$6l.756685 @pd7tw2no:

Of course. Just busting a bit..

Joe