'Runaway' 130mph BMW has no faults!

As expected:

he was just a crap driver after all. JB

Reply to
JB

should have been inspected by a totally independent garage..........of course BMW will find no faults...........what else would you expect.

Reply to
Name

Didn't they check the nut that was holding the wheel - seemed seriously defective to me...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I think it's more likely that they found no faults, rather than there were none. I refuse to believe that anyone, apart from someone with a death wish, would deliberately drive or crash their car in such a life threatening manner. That the driver was a bit of a thicko seems apparent. Nevertherless.... Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It is impossible to underestimate the human intellect.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On average, or in a specific circumstance?

Reply to
Fred W

In general. I do believe that it is particularly apt in this case considering the glaring evidence before everyone. Of course a huge number just cannot see it and give the driver the most generous benefit of their doubt and prefer to believe there to be a technical reason as to why he could not stop. This in itself is evidence [whatever the actuality of the case] that my statement is pertinent.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Peculiar logic to say the least. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

So you believe that the car was unstoppable then?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

what would i expect from bmw?

me: 'radio not working'

bmw 'transmission broken, unrepairable... need new transmission $6000... engine broken, unrepairable.. need new engine $10000...'

Reply to
furious gibbon

Thought so all along.

'Pluralitas non est pudenda sine necessitate'. Occam

(No need for complex explanations when simpler one would suffice)

Vijay Kumar

Reply to
Vijay

No. I think he could have simply switched of the ignition and cruised onto the hard shoulder, but I am inclined to believe that there was something wrong with his car. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for him to telephone the police, drive at such a dangerously high speed, given the traffic conditions, and then finish up totaling his car by crashing it into a roundabout. He might be stupid, but I can't believe anyone would drive as he did by choice. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

While I am not inclined to think so on his evidence alone, I do not discount the possibility.

He might be stupid. Yes.

but I can't believe anyone would drive as he did by

Maybe, if he had a motive, however stupid or incomprehensible the motive seems to right-minded souls. I would never underestimate the depths of stupidity possibe.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

not to many years ago, I recall my Grandfather had a similar problem The vehicle ran away with him and would not stop, he ran 2 red lights, ended up going the wrong way down a one way. Switching off the ignition would have done nothing and the brakes would not stop it.

The outcome was that the police set up a block a few miles along and when he approached they shot the horse dead.......................luckily it did not turn the cart over and grandfather was saved.

A vets inspection after could find nothing wrong with the animal.

The police refused to comment.

dj

Reply to
Name

Somebody previously mentioned that shutting the ignition off would lock the steering wheel, however I am not so sure. Am I mistaken, or isn't there a ignition key position (first stop CCW) that will kill the engine, but still leave the steering unlocked? I have to check this. Seems like if there isn't - it would be a good safety feature to include in a car's design. Stuck throttle cables aren't so rare, and the newer "fly by wire" systems can't be perfect.

I recall an old Chrysler product I had many years ago with a slant six engine. The carb was designed with a spring that would open the throttle fully if the throttle cable or cable pin broke. I know because it happened to me.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

No car out of the many many I've owned locks the steering until the key is

*removed* from the lock - not just turned off.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As was proven by several car magazines after the famous 60 Minutes - Audi travesty, no street car ever made, including high-power, hopped-up 'Vettes and Porsches, has been sufficiently powerful that under maximum power it could not be stopped by its brakes, unless those brakes were defective.

Period. End of story. Any contention otherwise is pure, fanciful bullshit.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

It struck me at the time as just an excuse for being caught speeding.. and the news is certainly accurate - since when did an E36/318 have

140MPH capabilities? Mebbe UK MPH's are different than US? (humor)
Reply to
admin

I was thinking the same thing... my 318is was limited at 132mph (or right around that) and it was damn difficult to get that car to that speed, it was possible, but there was a tailwind.. I was going down hill etc...

oh yeah and as my POV, the guy was full of shit... turn the ignition off, or shift into neutral... rather pop the motor than fold up the car....

Reply to
Corey Shuman

That's what I thought. Thanks.

RCE