Runaway BMW??

As per the news thread you may have seen.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796264.stm
What do you guys think was the cause?

The 'Kev' behind the wheel.
from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Couldn't get it into neutral - just possible. Couldn't switch it off - bollocks.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

He said he didnt want to because he would lose the power steering....
*boggle eyed*
130 MPH from a 318 Auto?
Tom.

Well, as has been pointed out elsewhere.... speedo error would bring that down to the manufacturer's clamed 124mph. But that's still maxing out a 100k mile old car. Which is highly unlikely.

You're odd you are. My Volvo would do Vmax at 115k, my Sierra would at 160k as would my old Rover also at 160k
Modern engines properly maintained don't lose power with age.
--
Aggressive sweeping momentarily melts the ice, which lessens friction,
thereby lessening the deceleration of the rock, while straightening the

Shite engines badly maintained seem ok at holding their V-max - the 405 still used to get very near (it took a LOT of road) on the GPS - about 8mph over on the speedo :) Which I thought was pretty good for it's age/shiteness.
--
Dan

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's a Kev in an aging Beemer.
"Properly maintained"?

Almost certainly will have had an induction kit and big exhaust bolted on, meaning it's more than likely to be well down on power over the OEM spec ;-)

Had a similar incident once luckily in 1st gear .... still with a 2.5v6 that was scary enough for one day.
Switching off didn't kill the power steering as leaving the car in gear meant the engine was still spinning the power steering pump.
Not sure how that would work with a BMW auto but at the end of the day - you can still steer a car when the power steering is dead .... not easy but its doable.

Aye - it's not that bloody difficult either - especially not at that sort of speed. My first thought would be to turn the ignition off, and if you're not quick in slipping it into neutral after that, then it may end up damaging the autobox, but it's cheaper than a written-off car. Also, the engine may well not be spinning the PAS pump in an auto as the transfer of motion from wheels to flywheel may well not be as simple in an auto as a manual, or you'd be able to bump-start automatic cars.
--
<Advertise Here. e-mail SigAds [<at>] WhatTheFuck.TV for rates>

"AstraVanMan" > Aye - it's not that bloody difficult either - especially not at that sort of

Ah but the insurance pays for a crashed car but not a mechanical failure like a granaded 'box.
Also, the

If you have ever driven an auto and taken notice you would know that there remains some engine braking down to quite low speeds which keeps the engine spinning well above idle down to maybe 30mph or less.
Huw

of
definitely not. I drove a Scorpio with failed power steering around for a couple of months years back when I was skint :-) It was heavy, but I've driven cars with no PAS that had heavier steering!

And a bleeding obvious one I would have thought :-) My second one would be to make sure it's reasonably clear, hold the wheel tight and hit the brakes...

Os

It's possible the dibbles have a policy of not telling people to turn the ignition off in case they turn it too far and engage the steering lock, crash and sue the dibbles for telling them to do it.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I suspect since the internal pump would still be running it'd stay turning the engine over till it got quite slow - but with electronically controlled boxes, who knows.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
i smell bullshit. my mates 318 man topped out at 138mph. and if your driving down hard shoulder doing that sort off speed and being lucky enough not to have anything els on the hard shoulder you would turn the car off off or some thing not wait for the road to run out. what a PENIS.
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:54:32 +0000 (UTC), "DougP"

Especially at 120mph.
--

Ian D

Yup, agree with the neutral - *some* autos won't let you do that if it'll over-rev the engine.
(SteveH) contains these words:

BMW with either ZF or GM gearbox is not *some* and every auto I have driven [very many] have no facility to prevent the box shifting from any Drive position [through 2to3 to perhaps 4 and D] to Neutral. Same goes for manually shifting from Reverse to Neutral. From Neutral to Drive or Reverse is different and may have a button press and a brake pedal interlock to negotiate.
Huw

Which ones?
--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *