Tail light bad connection? e46

Hello all,

I have a LR tail light that occassionally dims and then gets bright again. I have replaced the tail light bulbs (2) with no help as advised by the "stealership". The dimming also causes the warning light indicator to come on sometimes and then it goes out.

I have looked at the tail light assembly and it seems to be a bad connection or a bad connector.

Any ideas to how I can have this fixed? My CPO warranty may not cover this.

Car is an 2002 325i.

TIA, William

Reply to
weng94

There is a long discussion and possible fix at

Seems that the wiringharness gets worn in some cases and causes that problem among a fewothers. The harness goes from the trunk and into the body of the carnear the left hinge and through repeated flexing it get worn and caneven cause a fire. The harness has an additional covering there forprotection and has to be moved out of the way to see If there is damage[many pictures of damage at that site] Most people had some kind ofdamage after looking. BMW know of the problem and sells new wiringharness, fixes can be seen at that site. You'll have to look around tofind it, use the search engine.

Reply to
RonN

William,

On my car, I had a similar problem with the brake light. After days and weeks of troubleshooting, I tracked the problem to corroded contact area. If you look at the areas where contacts are made in taillight assembly, you might come to discover that there are holes around the contact areas. I am not sure if you will have the same problem, but from what you describe, it seems like an intermittent connection issue.

Best regards

weng94 wrote:

Reply to
viper

Thanks a bunch to all, I have found the contacts to be corroded and have got them fixed.

Regards,

William

Reply to
weng94