The Making of an E46 (BMW 3-series)

For those that haven't seen this yet, it's very interesting.

Auf Deutsch.

Reply to
KJ

Interesting. Made me wish they had used thicker steel stampings for the area around the rear shock towers, though.

Reply to
GRL

"GRL" wrote

Which model years suffered from the subframe damage issues? Was it around

2002 MY that they made improvements to this?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

You're right, it is very interesting. I only wish i had paid more attenton in German class.

Reply to
David

Wow! I would hope GM or Ford would make a video like this. BMW has their assembly plant work and automated lines down TIGHT!

I'm still waiting for the day I can spec out my car on the BMW website, then watch via following web cam as it's built from the sheet metal to finished product. Or at least have a DVD of the whole build on the passenger seat when I take possesion :) I would pay a premium for that kind of service.

Reply to
trwbmw

GM and Ford probably know they can't compete and producing a similar video would likely be business suicide. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I sincerely doubt their production process is even in the same league.

It would have been nice to see more of the engine/transmission construction on the BMW film, though I don't knock what they're already produced as I've not seen a single other manufacturer release anything remotely close.

Reply to
KJ

I'd bet the engines and transmissions are manufactured in a different facility (or facilities) and then shipped to the car production line.

Reply to
Fred W

You are correct. Still, it would be interesting to see! 8)

Reply to
KJ

This is not definitive, but judging by what I've seen in the news groups and BMW forums, it was never fixed.

Reply to
GLitwinski

I visited this plant when doing ED, and I thoguht there was actually quite a bit of manual labor involved.

lol, not a bad idea.

Reply to
RT

"Pete" skrev i en meddelelse news:dsvlvv$c1o$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl...

On the E46 models produced until feb 2000 suffered models produced after mar

2000 should have the improved subframe and there is no known problem with these newer models - at least not according to the German BMW clubs.
Reply to
ena

If you prod around in the various 3-series forums in E46 Fanatics, Bimmerfest, or Roadfly I think you will find many instances of owners of E46's after 2000 that have reported problems.

I have a 2003 and I fervently hope you are right and these owners were wrong...but I doubt it.

Reply to
GRL

"David" haute in die Tasten:

BTW: The lady who is telling us the story ist the same who made the german synchronisation for Gillian Anderson a.k.a. Special Agent Dana Scully in "The X Files". Her voice has become quite popular since.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper