BMW 745Li E66 - gearbox

Hi I have a 745Li (2002), which has 28000 miles on the clock.

Today I came to start the car, but it reported: "Gearbox fault, drive cautiously, danger of gearbox failure"

Within a few seconds, this changed to "Gearbox failsafe, do not drive"

Then I also got "Safety system error: seatbelt tensioners, airbags.... are not operating"

I called BMW emergency service without driving the car. They came out to see it, and ran a diagnostic. The guy then reset the errors, and put the car in gear.... the errors all came up again.... He continued to drive it, and said it was an ECU problem, and to take it in to the dealer. I was obviously reluctant to drive it, but he told me to drive it in.

I did so, and I am awaiting its repair.

Has anyone else had this problem?? or similar??

Cheers

Paul '02 745Li '00 740i Sport '98 740i Sport

Reply to
Paul Aspinall

My 740i occasionally comes up with "transmission program...", particularly if battery volts are low and it is hard starting (car outdoors overnight in winter).

The first time I had a similar panic, but in reality it is the electronics. If you start and run briefly and then start again, it usually goes away. If you do run you will find that it will be in a "get home" mode whereby throttle is limited and changes are hydraulic (so no 5th).

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Just to follow up on this...

I got my vehicle back.... There was apparently a faulty sensor, and all the systems were updated with the latest software.... all now fixed.....

Reply to
Paul Aspinall