1992 525i Overheating

I notice that my 1992 525i overheats when it sits idle for several minutes or more. Today as I was waiting in line for coffee, it went quite high. As I drove away, it barely touched the red area and the coolant temp warning went off, as I drove, as it always does in the past, it dropped back to normal within a minute.

The radiator was replaced 2 years ago before I got the car and supposedly the thermostat was replaced as well. What might be causing this? Thanks!

Reply to
Scott

If the car overheats only when idling (as your description) but maintains proper cooling when in motion, the problem is most assuredly the fan clutch. Not a big deal to replace but they are kind of expensive.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

He's right. If you replace it your self bear in mind the clutch's nut is reverse thread!

Reply to
John Burns

You need a water pump. And you'll soon need a new head if you continue to allow the Temp needle flirt with the red mark.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Good call, Fred. I suggested the water pump in my last post, but the fan clutch is the more likely culprit.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Try bleed out the air, if any, from the cooling system.

-- Johan

Reply to
Johan Karl Larsen