2003 C230 - Is Extended Warranty Worth it?

The warranty on my 2003 c230 will expire soon and I have the option of buying an extended warranty. The decent aftermarket warranties are between $3000 - $3800 for 4 years or 100K miles. My research also indicates that the warranty may or may not pay off. My vehicle is being repaired now (replace Evaporator) and the dealer told me this repair would have cost me about $3000 if I did not have a warranty. I am not sure if this is an unusual "repair" or if MB customers typically pay thousands of $$ for repairs (this is the 1st MB I have owned). Regarding the 2003 c230, what has been the experience of others who have purchased extended warranties?. Has an extended warranty been worthwhile for you? Do your repairs usually cost thousands? Any info will be appreciated.

Reply to
msingletary

It might be cheaper to change the car every three years whn eth eoriginal warranty runs out. This is a common way people do it in the UK as the car does not require an MOT safety test until it is three years old. It may seem an expensive way to do it but it means you are always under warranty and if you don;t do a huge mileage you probably will never need an exhaust or many tyres.

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Look into AAA extended warranty... they are about $2400 for 4 years extended warranty... with that price in mind... it will pay off.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Paul Widner

What kind of warranty does the dealer recommend ? I would talk with a service tech and ask what warranty companies are easy to deal with and willing to pay for covered expenses by telephone instead of sending out an "inspector".

I would also talk to independent MB shops and see what their experience has been with warranty companies.

I purchased my current vehicle from someone who bought it from CarMax, along with the CarMax extended warranty. I read the warranty agreement carefully and made sure I adhered to all of the requirements. I had most regular services performed at the dealership. When I had warranty claims, the first question from the Warranty Co concerned the service history of the vehicle. The dealership had the needed records on hand; once proof was provided, ALL claims were accepted without difficulty.

Ask questions, read the policy, adhere to the guidelines and you should be ok.

Best,

Ross

Reply to
John Doe