Unusual ATF Change on 1999 528i (re post)

first let me say I appreciated all those replies to my initial post on ATF change.

I just did the change at a local mil base's auto hobby shop. $5 lift fee for 1 hour, which is enough time for such work. The ATF I used was Redline D4, $9.88/qt from advanced discount auto parts. Before the purchase, I called Redline and the customer service rep said it's good to go with their D4.

One thing for the change does bother me: first after opening the "refill hole", about 2 qt old ATF drained out; then after opening the "draining hole", about another 2 qt got out. Now the problem came: I could only refill 2 qt of new ATF back in through the refill hole, which was less than drain-refill volume stated by Bentley's manual (about 4 qt if I am not mistaken).

Was my transmission box over-filled before the change? If not then it would bother me even more: is the box currently under-filled???

Jack Chengjie Wang Tampa, FL =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

-----

Alternative Transmission Fluid for 1999 528i, automatic ??? All 12 messages in topic - view as tree From: Jack C. Wang - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 1:23 pm Email: "Jack C. Wang" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

The car shop initially quote me ~$600 for the ATF change. Later he said he found a cheaper but still all synthetic fluid which will cut the cost to ~$350.

I did research online for BMW ATF. Many people attempted other non-vendor ATF with success. Still others gave opinions with uncertainty and concern. I checked a local Advanced Discount Auto Parts store and found "all synthetic Mobile 1 ATF" for only ~$6.50/quarter. Does anyone actually used Mobile 1 with success "on 528i"? Any other brands worked for anyone, such as Redline, Royal Purple, etc. ?

I am a first-time BMW owner. I so far very much like its performance. However, an A/C repair last week just cost me $1760 (compressor, dryer,

trolly, belt, etc.)

Jack Chengjie Wang Tampa, FL =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

From: Jeff Strickland - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 2:03 pm Email: "Jeff Strickland" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

According to my Bentley Manual for my 3 Series, the automatic transmission is filled with Dexron III, "but the factory might have used alternative

fluids."

I would not hesitate to use Dexron III in my transmission. The only consideration is the possibility that your 5 Series uses a different transmission than the 3 Series from the same vintage.

I recently had a fluid flush in a different car that uses Dexron III, and the cost was $70 (USD). The shop disconnected the transmission cooling lines at the radiator, and pumped new fluid in that pushed the old fluid out at the same time. You might consider dropping the bottom cover and replacing some of the filters and such that may need attention from time to time, but in my instance I am the original owner of the car in question so I opted for the basic service. In any case, the service you are looking for should be available for well under $150.

The car shop initially quote me ~$600 for the ATF change. Later he said > he found a cheaper but still all synthetic fluid which will cut the cost > to ~$350. > I did research online for BMW ATF. Many people attempted other non-vendor > ATF with success. Still others gave opinions with uncertainty and > concern. I checked a local Advanced Discount Auto Parts store and found > "all synthetic Mobile 1 ATF" for only ~$6.50/quarter. Does anyone > actually used Mobile 1 with success "on 528i"? Any other brands worked > for anyone, such as Redline, Royal Purple, etc. ? > I am a first-time BMW owner. I so far very much like its performance. > However, an A/C repair last week just cost me $1760 (compressor, dryer, > trolly, belt, etc.) > Jack Chengjie Wang > Tampa, FL > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 1:55 pm Email: "Dave Plowman (News)" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I did research online for BMW ATF. Many people attempted other > non-vendor ATF with success.

That 'success' is almost impossible to prove, unless the transmission successfully completes another 100,000 miles.

Still others gave opinions with uncertainty and concern.

My view too unless the fluid is identical to original spec - or you've researched one which works as well but has to be changed at more 'normal' intervals. Because if the gearbox fails due to the wrong make fluid you'll have no comeback on anyone.

--

*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

From: bfd - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 6:27 pm Email: "bfd" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > I did research online for BMW ATF. Many people attempted other > > non-vendor ATF with success. > That 'success' is almost impossible to prove, unless the transmission > successfully completes another 100,000 miles. > > Still others gave opinions with uncertainty and concern. > My view too unless the fluid is identical to original spec - or you've > researched one which works as well but has to be changed at more 'normal' > intervals. Because if the gearbox fails due to the wrong make fluid you'll > have no comeback on anyone. > --

Agree, one problem with slush boxes is you can't ever drain out all of the fluid. Unless you actually pull the tranny, there will be fluid stuck in places like the torque converter. Find out what fluid your car

comes with and replace with the exact same thing.

Personally, I'm glad I got a manual tranny on my 90 535i with 107K miles, I change it every 30K or so with a good synthetic like Redline or Royal Purple and its cheap and easy to do!

From: Richard Sexton - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 8:49 pm Email: snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

In article ,

bfd wrote:

Agree, one problem with slush boxes is you can't ever drain out all of >the fluid. Unless you actually pull the tranny, there will be fluid >stuck in places like the torque converter. Find out what fluid your car >comes with and replace with the exact same thing.

Uh, there's no drain plug on the torque convertor? You sure?

-- Need Mercedes parts?

Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff:

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages:
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD |

From: JB - view profile Date: Thurs, Jul 20 2006 3:50 pm Email: "JB" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

The car shop initially quote me ~$600 for the ATF change. Later he said > he found a cheaper but still all synthetic fluid which will cut the cost > to ~$350. > I did research online for BMW ATF. Many people attempted other non-vendor > ATF with success. Still others gave opinions with uncertainty and > concern. I checked a local Advanced Discount Auto Parts store and found > "all synthetic Mobile 1 ATF" for only ~$6.50/quarter. Does anyone > actually used Mobile 1 with success "on 528i"? Any other brands worked > for anyone, such as Redline, Royal Purple, etc. ? > I am a first-time BMW owner. I so far very much like its performance.

I had the same requirement for my 1999 E36 323i auto. I asked a major transmission repairers/remanufacturers who do many, many ZF boxes each year, and they said they use DexronIII in these boxes, but if I specifically wanted the Esso LT71141 fluid they would get some in. complete fluid change and filter/gaskets runs to about =A3125inclusive. Not on your side of the pond I know, but

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile Date: Wed, Jul 19 2006 6:35 pm Email: "Dave Plowman (News)" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Agree, one problem with slush boxes is you can't ever drain out all of > the fluid. Unless you actually pull the tranny, there will be fluid > stuck in places like the torque converter. Find out what fluid your car > comes with and replace with the exact same thing.

Some say you can do a power flush by removing a pipe to the cooler with

the engine running while filling with fresh and do so until it runs clean. This should change the fluid in the TC too.

--

  • What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile Date: Thurs, Jul 20 2006 4:43 pm Email: "Dave Plowman (News)" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Uh, there's no drain plug on the torque convertor? You sure?

Certain. ;-)

And even if there was there's no way to get rid of contaminated fluid after a 'box failure which is why it's usual to replace the TC at overhaul time.

--

*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

From: Richard Sexton - view profile Date: Thurs, Jul 20 2006 5:49 pm Email: snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

>> Uh, there's no drain plug on the torque convertor? You sure?

Certain. ;-)

Wow. Is there a good reason for that? I'm used to being able to drain the convertor, too.

And even if there was there's no way to get rid of contaminated fluid >after a 'box failure which is why it's usual to replace the TC at overhaul >time.

I'd guess you'd have to wouldn't you?

-- Need Mercedes parts?

Richard Sexton | Mercedes stuff:

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages:
633CSi 250SE/C 300SD |

From: Dave Plowman (News) - view profile Date: Thurs, Jul 20 2006 6:02 pm Email: "Dave Plowman (News)" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Wow. Is there a good reason for that? I'm used to being able to > drain the convertor, too.

I've never seen a drain plug on a car TC - and I've had autos since the

'60s. But not a US one.

--

*Great groups from little icons grow *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW To e-mail, change noise into sound.

From: Richard Sexton - view profile Date: Fri, Jul 21 2006 12:49 am Email: snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

>> Wow. Is there a good reason for that? I'm used to being able to >> drain the convertor, too. >I've never seen a drain plug on a car TC - and I've had autos since the >'60s. But not a US one.

All Mercedes have them.

From: bfd - view profile Date: Fri, Jul 21 2006 1:11 pm Email: "bfd" Groups: alt.autos.bmw Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> > Agree, one problem with slush boxes is you can't ever drain out all of > > the fluid. Unless you actually pull the tranny, there will be fluid > > stuck in places like the torque converter. Find out what fluid your car > > comes with and replace with the exact same thing. > Some say you can do a power flush by removing a pipe to the cooler with > the engine running while filling with fresh and do so until it runs clean. > This should change the fluid in the TC too.

A "power flush" might work, that's what Toyota recommends for its auto trannies.

But I haven't heard that mentioned as a sure fix-all for BMWs. Further,

with some BMWs, especially newer ones, requiring really expensive "lifetime" fluids, it becomes a question of how much fluids are required. Then again, I guess its worth the expense if the alternative is your tranny going out at 100K or less, ouch!

Reply=20 =20

JackWang9