Water Pump recommendation needed

The water pump on my 90 E34 535i, 5spd, 128k miles is starting to leak. So, what is a good OEM brand for my car. I looked at the EMP Stewart "high performance" water pumps, but they don't make it for my car. I looked at what else is out there and I see several issues:

  1. mfrs - water pumps are made by an assortment of mfrs: APA, GMB, Hepu, Graf, Meyle, Laso and Seleri;
  2. price - ranging from up to . In contrast, genuine BMW range from 6 to 6 for a remanufactured!
  3. propeller material - some are made out of metal, composite (whatever that is) and plastic.

So, what do you people recommend? I'm guessing my original water pump had a metal propeller, want to stay far away from Chinese made ones and well, low price is always good, but I'll pay more for well built.

So, let me know what you think. Thanks

Reply to
bfd

The plastic ones break. The metal ones break too. The Stewart is the only one that doesn't break, so if they don't make one, just pick whatever your favorite shop carries. But get a spare, because it will break.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks Scott. I've been told that OEM is Salieri (italian-made) and that the plastic/composite impellers are better. Supposedly, the early plastic was bad, but they are all out of the supply lines, now. New ones are quieter and last longer than the seals and bearings which is why water pumps fail. I also heard good things about Laso water pumps. So, I'll order one of those and we shall see! Good Luck!

Reply to
bfd

Try it and see and let us know what happens. All of the manufacturers say they have improved versions, but as far as I know they all still fail.

The metal ones tend to fail at the seals, but the plastic ones tend to shatter the impellers. You pays your money and you takes your chance.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Good point! I was going to order the Saleri or Laso pump when one vendor ragged on *steel* water pump as being "junk?" I responded "Really? My 90 535i original water pump went over 20 years and 128K miles before it started leaking. I presume it has a metal impeller as that was the technology at that time. No matter what pump I get, I'm not ordering from him!

I also agree with your assessment and a shatter impeller will probably cause alot more damage than a leaky seal. So, if I go with a metal impeller, I guess I'm looking at graf, geba or hepu....Good Luck!

Reply to
bfd