Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

You're right, of course, but my point was the A3 was quicker *and* more economical. A colleauge has a manual diesel 1 series, and loves it, and reports it does 45-47 mpg. I'd like to try one to see what I thought, and I'd also like to try petrol/diesel A3s with DSG. Like I said elsewhere in the thread, I think a BMW 1 with a diesel engine, better seats (the standard ones were not supportive) and (maybe) a manual would be much better for me.

The problem with the 120 was I didn't see much past 28 mpg even in gentle driving. I wasn't expecting high 40s, but it would have been nice to see 35mpg or more. We went on holiday from the midlands to the Scottish highlands in it, and the fuel consumption was noticeable- we did a similar journey in the Fabia vRS recently, and despite maintaining a higher avrage speed, didn't have to stop for fuel this side of Glasgow, like we did in the 120. The slushbox, like I said, was far too keen to shift down. I ended up using the manual shift quite a lot.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I went to look at a 120d today.

It made my Alfa 75 look like a luxury barge.

So, it's back to the A3, then.

Reply to
SteveH

Did you drive it?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No. I'm trying to narrow down the options before booking full weekend tests with the lease company.

Sitting in one and playing with stuff for 5 minutes was enough to convince me that I couldn't live with one for the next 3 years / 100k miles.

Reply to
SteveH

128i (manual) is 3252 lbs.

328i (manual) is 3340 lbs.

3340 - 3252 = 88 lbs, not 350 lbs.

Looks like there's not much reason for the 1 to be "faster and better handling" than the 3.

Reply to
dizzy

Let me guess. You picked the best FWD and pitted it against the worst BMW?

Who says that it does?

Reply to
dizzy

But for those of us who like open air motoring, the 128i cabrio is 294 lbs. lighter than the 328i "retractable" - a significant difference!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

A 320 is the BMW that almost every twerp who rants about their BMW actually owns.

Anyone who has ever driven both of them.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Take it up with Car & Driver, not me.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

While feel inferior?

My car is as good as the equivalent 5 series, and has more internal room, doesn't get any snotty attitude which drivers of BMWs and Audis get, and scares some drivers!!!!

Reply to
Martin

I'm sticking with my cheaper RWDs thanks

Reply to
Martin

I used to have a small hatch with RWD - great fun!

Drive it like you are rallying it!

Reply to
Martin

If I was in the market for a new smaller car a 1 series would be in the running - well it is RWD!!

Reply to
Martin

Arghh! the Shoveit

All engine ancilaries on the same side on noddy version - difficult to work on, and only one decent engine.

I prefered the Chrysler equivalent, easier to work on and two fun engines.

Reply to
Martin

I have driven 5 wrong wheel drive cars in last 18 years three hire (one was dire, another swapped after a couple of miles as it was too small for the third), a courtesy car with half an engine (3 cylinder Corsa - well it is half isn't it?), and a car my boss owned. In the same period I have owned 6 RWD.

Reply to
Martin

They are huge, a Maxi Mini.

Reply to
Martin

Stuff that try the Mondeo Sanitory Towel against the M3.

I would not have the 2.0 if I was buying a 3 I'd have either if the 3.0 engines.

Reply to
Martin

Stupid car - two cylinders missing.

Reply to
Martin

I wouldn't bother.

Seriously under-specced, unless you splash out the extra £2k for an SE version, with materials and built quality that would make Citroen blush.

Reply to
SteveH

That would be silly, the two as far apart in price and performance as to make the comparison pointless. The only M3 I've ever driven left me underwhelmed. Yes it was fast, pointy and squirty and one could have fun on a track letting the arse hang out. But on the road it was a pointless bit of over-priced undercomfortable tat. IMO it was about in the same league as the Audi S8, but not in a good way. In a "f*ck me did someone pay that much to have a car made that's uncomfortable with a really cheap interior feel" sort of way.

I'm probably getting old, strike probably I am getting old. But I preferred my XJR to any Beemer I've ever driven. I prefer my 4xFord to any Beemer I've ever driven. I've had to give up expensive toys in order to fund my wife's attempts to start a new business, but when it's over/up and running I'll be heading back to Jags because the few things about them that disappoint don't disappoint as much as the competition.

I'd have had an NSX if erindoors had approved it.

The BMW 6's are gems of engines, I really like them. I just wish that the rest of car was up to the promise of the steering, handling and engine/transmission. Having interior trim and seats that wouldn't have been out of place in a Sierra is a real disappointment. Even the M3 "leather" feels like vinyl. And the hardboard in the boot is pure Austin-Rover.

Reply to
Steve Firth